What's new

Question for the Philly folks (best Cheesesteak) (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I may be taking a roadtrip to Philly soon and one of the things I want to try is a 'real' cheesesteak. I've done some research and it seems the 3 most popular are Geno's, Pat's, and Jim's.

I've heard 2 good comments about Jim's being the best. Does anyone have any comments about either of these places. Also, what is up with the Cheeze whiz on these things?

Thanks
Jeff

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Well, Pat's and Geno's are right across the street from each other, so if you make it over there, you can knock out 2 right there and decide for yourself. It's been too long since I had one from Jim's, so I can't say exactly that I know if it is better.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra
OMG...the cheese whiz is the icing on the freakin' cake. A bunch of friends and I were in Philly for a redskins/eagles game and stopped by Pat's to sample an authentic Philly cheese steak. Oh so gooood!!! Damn you Jeff for starting this thread.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Larry's on 54th St.

I dislike Pat's Geno's and Jim's. Out of the three, I like Jim's the best, but they are too small.

It seems just about any cheesesteak you get in Philly will be a delicious authtentic one, unless they adverstise it as an "authentic philly cheesesteak."

I'm not sure about my cheesesteak history, but this is how I think it goes:

Pat's is the most well known, and as WillG said, Geno's is directly across the street, so it gets recognized by default (they get packed after 2am on the weekends)

Jim's is well known because it's supposed to be the best one located on South Street and it is always packed everytime I go by there, even though there are several other cheesesteak places on South Street.

Any of the other pizza/cheesteak shops on South Street are going to be pretty good (at least the ones I've tried). And you'll get a bigger sandwich, and it will probably be cheaper. I usually go to Tony Luke's when I go to any sporting event. Here are directions to it: here you go

And I just order cheesesteaks from various pizza places ordinarily. Steve's, the Prince or Steaks is a bit different, they don't chop up the steak, so it has a different texture to it.

Going way back to my college days, my personal all time favorite is the Larry's located off of City Line Ave directions. Once in a while I'll still go out of my way to go to that steak shop. Although Larry's defaults with real American cheese(which is my fav), I believe cheez whiz is available.

quote from site:

That would probably be good for 2 of you.

Sorry if this post is confusing, your questions has just made me very hungry....

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
I gotta put in my vote for Tony Luke's as well. Last time up there was a few months ago, but I noticed the new Tony Luke's Sports bar across the street (Oregon) from the original sandwich stand at Oregon & I-95. You can hit the original place for quick take out (quick, convenient & free parking under I-95 overpass), or go across the street for a sit-down Philly culinary experience (same sandwiches, I'm sure).

Also note that both Tony Luke's and Geno's have cheesesteak shops inside Citizens Bank Park ... In case you're interested in catching the Phillies & seeing the new park (very nice!) If you go, get your sandwich before the game, otherwise, you may stand in line for an hour.

Scott

My mouth started watering when I began reading this thread. :emoji_thumbsup: Nothing like heading over to Pat's after the bars empty out on a weekend. Brings back fond memories of my misspent youth. They're all good Jeff...enjoy.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
Philly Cheesesteaks are the best...I agree that as long as you don't go to an "authentic" place, you're likely set. I'm a Pat's fan but am sure the others are just as good....

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
At the risk of having the hardcore at my door, be aware that the Pat's/Geno's-cheesewiz style steak is actually centered in South Philly. Although it gets the most "press". The other 85% of us go with standard american or provalone cheese. (A pizza steak pretty much demands provalone IMHO.)

The poster who said, go to any place that doesn't say "authentic Philly cheesestake", nailed it.

The inner suburbs probably have better food at better prices. The Italian Kitchen in Lansdowne is my favorite. (Note to self, go visit Mom.)

Another approach, look at one coming off the grill, if it looks healthy, move on.

Armando Zamora

Second Unit
Real Name
aromaz odnamra

True words of wisdom. Damn it folks...that's enough talk about this topic. I'm Jones'n for a 12" fully loaded steak-n-cheese because of all this chatter.

Pamela

Supporting Actor

I'm in this camp. My faves are at Phil and Jim's in Parkside. Smiths Hotel, in Lancaster County, has a mighty fine cheesesteak if you are up that way. I'm back home in PA right now, visiting the family, so I'm in cheesesteak and hoagie heaven!

BTW, living in SoCal, I have finally found a place that serves a decent cheesesteak and hoagie. Not spot on, but close enough: South Street Cheesesteaks in Burbank. Owned by a couple of Philly-bred movie moguls. The rolls are Amoroso's. Not bad at all. Also sell Hank's sodas, TastyKakes and Goldenberg Peanut Chews, not to mention soft pretzels and Italian water ice. A little taste of home!

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Actually, I have eaten a cheesesteak at Geno's and I have found one place on the US West Coast that can come close to duplicating the Geno's experience: Amato's in San Jose, CA.

That's because the owner was born in Philadelphia and knew pretty much how Geno's and Pat's did their cheesesteaks. Amato's makes a cheesesteak using a roll almost identical to the Amaroso roll (not hard to do with the many excellent institutional bakeries in the Bay Area) and using pretty much the same cooking methods as Geno's does, especially the use of thinly-sliced ribeye steak. :emoji_thumbsup: I asked the people at Amato's to do a Whiz Wit cheesesteak and it came out almost EXACTLY like what I ate at Geno's. :)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
as a lifetime cheesesteak eater i like geno's and pat's the best.
only difference i can see is a different brand of roll.
at pat's you can stand on a marker on the sidewalk thats says something about this is were sly stallone stood eating a steak while filmng rocky.

delasandro's (sp) near roxboro is great too..
i havent had a steve's prince of steaks in about 15 years. wasnt very good then, may have improved.
anyplace that pulverizes the meat the way steve's does is trying to hide the lower quality of meat they use.
plus it dries out the meat during cooking.

a true phiily style cheesesteak has cheese wiz and fried onions, but get what you like.

oh man do i need a cheesesteak right now.

Leo's is on that best cheesesteak list for Pa, but i think they actualy put too much meat on it, plus meat pulverized.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Thanks for all the input guys! This roadtrip can't come soon enough now. I'm gonna have to starve myself the day before just to make sure I can get my money's worth! :)

Jeff

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
heh, i tried one of those just for scientific purposes.

what a joke.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
me too actually,

but NYC is doing ok lately. We have a Tony Luke's and a few other Philly vets in town making some decent CS.
I am now out in SF. The search begins...

:) d

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks