What's new

Question for the marathon runners of this forum... (1 Viewer)

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
My wife is training for her 4th marathon and would like to purchase one of those water back packs...I think one brand name is called Camel Back/Pack.

Any recommendations? We would like to keep the price under $50. Thanks!

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
While I don't run marathons, I do rollerblade them. I use various camelbacks, depending on the length of the race I use a bigger or smaller one. They come in all different configurations. www.camelbak.com has lots of different types, everything from backpack type ones to a fanny pack type that just straps around your waist. If you look around at some online camping goods stores like www.campmor.com or www.sierratradingpost.com, search for hydration packs, you'll likely come up with lots of options for cheap.

However, having just gone for a run with a group of friends, you may want to ask her if she wants to run with a backpack at all. I could easily see the movement / shaking of the backpack being a real nuissance when running. Not a huge deal when you're skating as your upper body remains still. A fanny pack type hydration pack would seem like it would be a lot less of a PITA when running.

Andrej

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Yes, if she gets a camelback, make sure it has sternum straps, if it just has the arm straps, it will most likely be flapping around and be very annoying when running a marathon. They have also started to come out with clothing that specifically is made to carry a bladder which might be the best solution because it will weight less than a camelback and allow you to carry water in a pouch you can buy at most sports stores and is relatively hands free. If you do buy a "camelback" type bladder system, a sternum strap will be more stable than just the arm straps or just a waistband. You might want to go with a fanny pack as Andrej says, it's a lot better system than to have weight on your shoulders for marathon lengths.

I've used simply bike jerseys and a small water bottle in the side pocket but I wouldn't recommend that for long distances either. It is cheap though! Bottles in the back pocket would shake way too much, shoving them on the side helps but isn't the ideal solution.

Jay

Andrej Dolenc

Stunt Coordinator
I was trying to find some info on the net about it but couldn't come up with it. A few weeks ago I volunteered for marathoners here in DC. A lot of them were wearing these belts that had 4 or 6 little hand-grenade sized water bottles. Couldn't find what it was called, but looked pretty slick. However little bottles you need, and a very unobtrusive way of carrying it.

Andrej

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Try this:

http://www.trisports.com/gelsys.html

Specifically the "Ironman 6-bottle terminator set" which has small water bottles. I've seen these in Triathlon usage before. I've also seen Gu bottles for cycling where you premix Gu and water into a little flask...

I've seen small pint sized (Spring) water sold but that belt thing has got to be fairly handy...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks