Question for SVS owners

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mark Paquette, Nov 11, 2005.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

How far away from my TV should I keep my SVS?? I didn't see anything in the manual about these things being shielded. I have a CRT based RPRV, if that matters.

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

My SVS is quite close to my CRT RPTV and is not a problem. I believe that this is an issue only with direct view CRTs. You will know if there is a problem because the picture would turn purple where the SVS was too close, if there was magnetic interference.

3. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

Agreed. If you don't see any distortion or discoloration, you should be fine.

4. MikeNg

MikeNg Second Unit

I think you should keep the sub away from the front (or rear) bottom of the TV, since that'll be close to the guns.

If you don't notice a problem after placing the sub for say, a day, you should be good.

The effects of the magnets are sometimes not immediately noticable.

5. MikeLi

MikeLi Supporting Actor

I say just several feet to be on the safe side but I can put mine up close and never seen a problem but wound up sounding better in a corner about 4 feet from the TV anyway.

6. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

Our 16-46PCi is almost touching our Philips CRT TV without any problem. The 2' high TV stand and low position of the driver in the cylinder design may be an important factor here. Perhaps some TVs are more sensitive to magnetic effects than others? Loudspeakers are probably at a more (potentially) dangerous height for TVs than most sub drivers.

7. Eric OBrien

Eric OBrien Auditioning

I have my dual powered cylinders close to each side of my RPTV with no problems at all. By the way, I've had my PC-39's for several years now and i'm still awestruck with bass! SVS rules! [​IMG]

8. Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter Second Unit

No issues either with a PB10-isd locted less then a foot from my rptv. Even during those 108db bass peaks [​IMG]

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

On an CRT RPTV the guns are usually in the bottom front, so putting it right down below the front of the TV would be the closest. You will not see the purple or strong discoloration you would see on a direct view-CRT. Instead, you may see astigmatism adversly affected, or convergence. If you do place your subwoofer very close to your TV, it would be advisable to view a dots pattern and check to make sure your beam focus is not adversly affected, esp astigmatism.