What's new

Question for Sony Wega owners (regarding DynaBlack) (1 Viewer)

Roger P

Auditioning
What do you have yours set up at? I have it at "Low" and I'm not sure if that's good or not.

JamesCB

Second Unit
Is your set video calibrated with Video Essentials or Avia? (I assume Avia has video test patterns, not familiar with it).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
By "low," what do you mean? The color temperature? You're not providing enough information. And the settings for one WEGA may not be appropriate for another unit of the same model, given manufacturing tolerances.

Roger P

Auditioning
Sorry I wasn't specific. Let me reword the question: What are your thoughts on the feature "DynaBlack"? My model is Sony Wega KV-27FV300.

The manuals description of DynaBlack "Improves contrast and shaprens image detail."

It has three options: High, Low, and Off.

Color temp of my TV is set to neutral.

Clear Edge VM: Off

Unfortunately I don't have Avia :frowning:

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Roger, I'd avoid any of those "contrast-enhancing" gimmick modes. Disable this "DynaBlack" feature. Use the "Warm" color temp mode, as it is the closest to the D6,500 standard. You are correct to disable SVM.

Roger P

Auditioning
Yeah, I figure it was the normal thing to disable any "enhancements", but this is a new feature I never seen before so I thought I ask. Thanks.

Oh BTW is this setting prefered for video games too or just DVD?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
For all sources, as it best protects your set. Make sure your "contrast" (or "picture") setting is well below fifty percent. Reduce "sharpness" to below twenty percent (generally; zero percent sometimes yields the best results, depending on the unit).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Use the "Warm" color temp mode, as it is the closest to the D6,500 standard.
For the record, and it may vary by model, but out of the box, the "cool" color temperature setting on my 36" WEGA was much closer to 6500K than the other two. You can usually get a feel for which is closest by watching B&W material, flipping through the three color temp modes, and choosing the one that looks the most neutral. Make sure your TV is warmed up for a half hour or so before you make this decision, though. The differences are not usually subtle with the factory settings.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks