Question for Sony DVD and Reciever owners...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

As far as I know, all of Sony's decoders contain their "Digital Cinema Sound" that has different modes to create the presense of more speakers. So you if have 2 surrounds to you side, it will simulate having rear speakers and vice-versa. Has anyone tried this and does it work?

I have a Sony DVP S550D hooked up to my Onkyo 595 via coax. I assume my Onkyo does the decoding since I'm not using 5.1 outs on the Sony to the 5.1 in's on the Onkyo? So any changes I make in Sony's surround modes won't make a difference?

Thanks

Mike D.

2. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

There's gotta be some Sony owner's out there that know....

3. Alvin Lau

Alvin Lau Agent

I have a Sony STR-DB930, which does the DD/DTS decoding. I generally tend to use the Cinema Studio EX A setting, as I find it adds a nice "oomph" to the sound, so yes, I'd say the different modes do make a difference. Whether you like the difference is up to the individual though.

And I think you're correct about the settings making no difference since the Onkyo receiver is doing the decoding. I can't imagine the digital bitstream being altered in the DVD player in that fashion...