What's new

Question for Sony DVD and Reciever owners... (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
As far as I know, all of Sony's decoders contain their "Digital Cinema Sound" that has different modes to create the presense of more speakers. So you if have 2 surrounds to you side, it will simulate having rear speakers and vice-versa. Has anyone tried this and does it work?

I have a Sony DVP S550D hooked up to my Onkyo 595 via coax. I assume my Onkyo does the decoding since I'm not using 5.1 outs on the Sony to the 5.1 in's on the Onkyo? So any changes I make in Sony's surround modes won't make a difference?

Thanks

Mike D.

Alvin Lau

Agent
I have a Sony STR-DB930, which does the DD/DTS decoding. I generally tend to use the Cinema Studio EX A setting, as I find it adds a nice "oomph" to the sound, so yes, I'd say the different modes do make a difference. Whether you like the difference is up to the individual though.

And I think you're correct about the settings making no difference since the Onkyo receiver is doing the decoding. I can't imagine the digital bitstream being altered in the DVD player in that fashion...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks