Question for Sacha

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian_Tho, Jan 19, 2003.

1. Brian_Tho

Brian_Tho Stunt Coordinator

Hey Sacha now that you have your receiver hooked up how does it to for music? Does it get very loud, have your tried any movies yet. I am having second thoughts about the kenwood after hearing it today. I just like the sound of the sonys. What levels are you listening at?

2. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

Yes it does get very loud even with only 2 speakers, but they blew as you read in my other post [​IMG]
    So with 6 speakers it must get very loud but I wasn't stupid enough to put it all the way up again and blow all the other speakers lol [​IMG]
    I had problems with my COAX audio output on my video card but finally found a solution and was able to get real surround sound (just after returning the rented DVD), anyway I was able to test it with lord of the rings that I got for xmas and the sound is unbeleivable.
    It's also great for music in PL II Music mode (or stereo if you prefer, but I like Pro Logic II much better).
    Which sony receiver do/did you have?
    Thanks

3. Brian_Tho

htib receiver. comes with the sony 840 kit. I am thinking about getting 985 to replace it. How did the movie sound. was it warm or neutral. What volume level did you use for the dvd.

4. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

whats htib?

The movie sounded great, not sure what you mean by warm or neutral...

I watched it at volume 28 (the recevier goes up to 74) with dynamic range compression set to off. When there is action the subwoofer really makes the room shake (it's set to +10dB on the receiver and about 70% volume on the subwofoer itself).

5. Brian_Tho

Put the sub in a corner cut volume to halfway and 0 boost in receiver settings. How big is your room, was 28 loud? Putting the sub in a corner increase sound by +3-6 decibals. Warm is a bassy sound when people talk in the movie not hollow. Bright I guess is what it sounds like if you cut your sub off and listen.

6. Sacha_C

Sacha_C Second Unit

28 wasn't very loud in quiet parts of the movies when theres only talking and no action, but when there was action it did get quite loud even at 28 (of 74).

I prefer to leave the sub at +10 on the receiver and use the level control on it to put it lower.