1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question for RAF.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronNWilson, Sep 1, 2001.

1. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I think I remember reading that you had now added high definition to your hometheater. Have you had a chance to take some screenshots of your sony projector running high definition material?
    Those screenshots of Starship Troopers etc. looked excellent, it would be hard to imagine a much sharper picture.
    Aaron

2. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Yes, I've added an HDTV signal source to my VW10HT via a Dish Network Model 6000 receiver. I now get HD from HBO, Showtime and CBS, all over the DISH network.
    I'm going to update my HT web site one of these days (long overdue, since some of the other equipment has also changed as well) but this is one of those things that keeps getting pushed back as other things come up. Realistically, it now looks like this will have to wait until after the HTF L.A. trip in a couple of weeks.
    In the meanwhile, Ron and Parker were able to viist me during the ScooterFest 2001 weekend recently and their comments are here:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/042911.html
    I'll try to do some screen shots eventually. One thing that I'm not sure of, and won't know for sure until I try it out, is whether there might be some limitation of the digital camera that might make such pictures not a true representation of the differences. Also, I'm now using a different camera (a Canon Pro-90IS instead of a Kodak DC260) and that might introduce another variable which makes comparisons difficult. I no longer have the DC260.
    That's why there's really no substitute for the real thing. And, to add another variable to the mix, HDTV is still in its infancy. There is a great deal of variation in the quality of the delivered product (even within the DISHNetwork HD Demo loop itself!) so HDTV, as good as it can look right now, will probably look better - or at least more consistent - as time goes by. I think this is analogous to what has happened with DVD or any other matureing medium.
    Hope some of this makes sense. I'm not begging the question, but trying to put it into perspective.
    ------------------
    RAF
    [Demented Video Dude since 1997]
    [Computer Maven since 1956]
    ["PITA" since 1942]
    My HT (latest update 02/05/01)

3. AaronNWilson

AaronNWilson Second Unit

I don't think that the camera issue will necessarily introduce any problems. Judging by your photos your camera appears to be at least 2 megapixels which would make me think you have a long way to go before you reach the potential of the camera.
    With regard to using a different camera now, you could just take a picture of a dvd sourced material and then try and get that same shot from your hd sources. You have so much software I'm sure you could probably find the movie to match any movie they are playing in HD [​IMG].
    There is one thing which may be an issue, although I'm not sure as I have never taken screenshots before. Do you normally pause the material before you take a screenshot? I'm assuming that you do. That right there is where the problem is, being able to pause the HD broadcast. I remember reading in WSR that one reviewer was irked that there wasn't any way they could review HD units because they didn't have a HD signal generator. They may have that problem fixed I don't. Being able to pause the HD material may not even be an issue, I'm not sure.
    Aaron

4. RAF

RAF Lead Actor