What's new

Question for Polk owners: RTI** or RT**i (1 Viewer)

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I'm about to return a pair of JBL S26 I purchased. and I'm looking into a pair of Polks as mains (I already own a pair of rt25i's as surrounds). My question is should I look into the new rti series or get the older rt**i at closeout prices. I have the chance to purchase a pair of rt600i's for $299/pr or the smaller new series rti28 for $280/pr. Which one would you buy ?.....I'll be using them with a velodyne sub.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Hmm, that close of a price gap. Can you listen to them both? I'd likely be tempted to go with the older ones. But then again I don't know what advancments Polk has integrated into the new line.

Brian

Real Name
John Doroshenk
I have the RT600i's and I love them. Don't know about the new ones, but I'm happy with the old ones just fine. I just got a svs 16-48pci and it really completes the sound field, I know they were lacking the low end but sounded great to me in the mids to highs. Make sure you have a sub to go with them.

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
Then I'd likely go for the discount ones. I'm sure they were marked up much higher, and are only so cheap to get ride of em. The newer stuff for about the same price may or may not be as good. I know you can get a pair of RT25i's for $200 whereas the replcements the RT28i's will run you $280.

Brian

Mark Russ

Second Unit
So Anthony, did you finally decide to go with the Polks instead of the JBLs after all? Or are you still comparing them to each other?

Mark Russ

Second Unit
P.S. I think I'd probably go with the older ones, as didn't you already have a center channel to match them or something? As for the cost, I'd get the older series, and if you get them from Circuit city, you'd still have a year to trade them up for the newer ones if you ever decided to do that and they ever run a killer deal on them. That way, you could still keep an option open. I've heard them both, and I don't think that there's really all that much difference in them. I think the newer line sounds just a little brighter though.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Mark, I purchased last week a pair of JBL S26's and I'm going to return them....I'm going POLK all the way !!!...the JBL's were OK, but I felt I was downgrading from my original towers (Pinnacle)and I like the Polk sound better.

Merrill

Grip
I just purchases a pair of RT800i at Great Indoors. They were having the Polk clearance of the older models. I got the floor demos for $140 each (I think they retailed for $489 each). I also purchased the floor RT15is at $56 for the pair (I think they retailed for $199) as surrounds.

I also purchased the CSi30 and got $20 off ($179 versus $199) because they had to order it. On top of it all, I got 5% off when I opened a new account (which I'll close as soon as it's paid off) and 12 months free financing.

It's my first real setup and I just watched Pearl Harbor tonight. I could not be happier.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks