Question for Polk Audio Fans!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan McLachlan, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Allan McLachlan

I bought a pair of Polk R10 Bookshelfs about a month ago just for my two channel stereo and I wanna get a new reciever and make the jump to 5.1(and put the R10s in the back). I was wondering if the tweeter (a silk dome) would sound any different than the tweeters in the RS1000i towers and the CS400i center which are different??? Any suggestions!?!
    Thanks

2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

It isn't as important to match the rears with the mains. It is, however, important to match the center and mains. The speakers with the tri-laminate tweeters will have a brighter sound to them and clearer highs, but aren't so different that they'll be distracting on front-to-rear pans. I think the RT1000i/CS400i/R10 setup will work quite nicely for you and give you a nice front soundstage, but you'll probably want to get something like the FX500i surrounds to replace the R10s eventually.
    If you go towww.polkaudio.com and look at the page for the speakers, the bottom of the page will have a table that shows which other speakers match up to what you have. I have 4 R10's and a CS175i with the PSW350 sub in my HT just to keep all of the tweeters silk dome (and because I'm cheap), and it sounds very nice.

3. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

As surrounds, I don't think you'll have a problem even though the tweets will sound different not to mention the speaker as a whole. I'm of the opinion that the rear surrounds don't have to exactly match the fronts to obtain a satisfying home movie experience...however, many probably disagree with me.
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]