What's new

Question for Pioneer VSX Receiver Owners (1 Viewer)

Chuck_J

Grip
I'm trying to decide between the Pioneer VSX D914, D912 or the VSX D814 receiver but I need to know if paying the extra bucks for the automatic MCACC (D914) better than manual calibration system (D814)?

I know it's a matter of taste but I don't know if I have the "ear" to set the tones from each speaker. I think I'd rather have the receiver accomplish this automatically.

One more question. I notice the D912 has the door and the D914 doesn't not. Has it been a problem for users in the past breaking the latch on the door panel on the D912?

MichaelPR

Second Unit
You can just use a radioshack spl meter they are like 30 bucks and it's very easy...im not very smart with this stuff and I did it.

EarleD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Earle Decker
I own a 56TXi and prefer the results using a RS meter. The auto eq didnt impress me at all. YMMV

Chuck_W

Second Unit
I had good luck with the results of the auto-calibration using the 912, but the subwoofer usually needed adjusted a bit. Never had any problems with the door.

RyanJE

Second Unit
Go for the 1014 if you can stretch it. You can find it for about 360 shipped on pricegrabber.

Im like you and can not equalize. Therefore I love the MCACC auto. I think you would too. I did fine tune the channel levels with an spl meter which is fairly simple. And it does leave the sub a bit cold... about 2-4 db's.

Edwin Tan

Auditioning
Don't have much experience with auto MCACC, but the manual MCACC is really far from being anywhere precise. Mostly just guesstimating your way through! If you're just after something within the ballpark, then manual is fine.

Chuck_J

Grip
Edwin,

So you would say using a speaker meter in conjunction with the manual MCACC will more than compensate for the additional price on a receiver with auto MCACC?

Edwin Tan

Auditioning
Chuck

In my opinion, auto's better; takes out the guesswork that is called for with manual MCACC. But if you're not after a good degree of precision, then manual together with an SPL meter would be sufficient.

I'm using manual MCACC and, to be honest, it's good enough for me. However, it's wise to always go for the best you can afford; this helps you avoid upgrading too soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks