1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question for parents - When do I get to watch movies again?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Steve Kuester, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

Steve,

I remember longing for a slice of free time, feeling a bit of guilty relief when the oldest started kindergarten, moreso when both were in school. Then came more activities, hanging out with friends, etc.

Now...

One is about to begin her sophmore year (away at) college, the other will be a senior in high school and is "out" more than she's home.

Don't get me wrong; I'm so proud of the young women they've grown into and we continue to make special memories, but I can easily get teary-eyed watching old videos of them riding tricycles or singing Barney songs.

I guess what I'm saying is this: be careful not to wish these days away.

They're pure gold.

Jon

2. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Thanks! Yeah, that's nature's trick, it keeps parents from killing their kids!

3. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

Of course it all depends on the kid, but with our 2 children, it was no problem to start watching movies again quite soon after birth (a few weeks). First my wife was sometimes tired until the night breaks got down to one, so we watched shorter movies. Normally it is no problem to get a kid of 2 month to sleep at 8 pm if you don´t let it sleep after 4-5 pm, so it is really tired and sleeps quickly. We have a "babyphone" to monitor if the kids wake up, so we can relax and enjoy the movie. Of course, sometimes it does not work (kid does not sleep easily etc.), but mostly it is ok. So, good luck!

4. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

Jon - I agree. That's why I was hesitant to even start this thread. I don't want it to seem like I'm saying "I wish this darn kid would grow up". I wouldn't trade these last couple months for anything, but I also know I need time for other things I enjoy (like watching movies) to be the best I can be for my son.

I didn't get in the movie I thought I was going to this weekend. But I feel like one is getting close...[​IMG]

5. Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran Screenwriter

Try living in a small 2 bedroom apartment with only one working dvd player (living room) and having to keep the sound to a minimum when watching anything.

I can't remember the last time my husband and I actually got to watch a good movie together without being interrupted. Not to mention, my husband goes to bed at 9pm, due to getting up at 5am every morning for work. We usually watch movies seperately, because that is the only time we really can watch movies. Frankly, watching scary movies (my movie of choice) during the daytime when the kids are at school or friends houses doesn't really cut it and I work evenings so when I get off at 10pm I really have no desire to sit in front of the television.

6. Brandon_T

Brandon_T Screenwriter

Take Joey's advice and check out Daddyplace.com. That is a great website for connecting with other Dads, for good and bad situations.

7. Steve Kuester

Steve Kuester Second Unit

I watched a movie last night!![​IMG]

The little man went down at 7:30 without a problem. I asked my wife if she wanted to watch a movie, she said no. But I could tell in her voice that it was no big deal if I watched one.

I've been a Netflix guy for at least 9 years now - I've been quite profitable for them over the last couple months. The 3 titles I had at home from them were Strictly Ballroom, There will be Blood, and Shoot em Up. I figured my wife will want to see Strictly Ballroom and There will be Blood, and I know she wouldn't have much interest in Shoot em Up, so the choice was easy. The fact that Shoot em Up was listed as 1hr 26min also helped. It took me about 10 minutes to figure if my 3802 had some sort of dynamic range compression or night mode - I even had to grab the manual[​IMG] Its funny how once you set your receiver you never really mess with it again. I brought the baby monitor downstairs with me, and my stomach dropped everytime I saw the red lights flash, but he stayed sleeping the whole time!

Anyway, the movie was very entertaining (I can't say it was great, but I did laugh or smile quite a few times) and was exactly what I needed.

At least now I know it can be done.

8. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Great! Now watch as many as you can before the little guy gets any say in what you view.

9. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Fortunately for me, the whole "home theater" concept started up about the time my son hit middle school. Now he's married and living in another state, and I have a dedicated home theater room that booms...

10. Julia

Julia Stunt Coordinator

11. JoeyR

JoeyR Second Unit

Joey