1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question for Panasonic RP56 owners about progressive aspect ratio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff D, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I'm not understanding how to properly set up this dvd player for the following.
    I want to be able to have 4:3 output for 4:3 content and 16:9 on 16:9 movies. Is there a setting for this? I have the display set for 16:9, but there seems to be side bars on the 16:9 content too.
    I've posted a similar topic here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/044741.html

2. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Stunt Coordinator

You should set your DVD player to the type of TV you have, not what the DVD ratio is. If your TV is 4:3 set the DVD to that and it should correctly display 4:3 material as well as 16:9 or 2.35:1.
    SMK

3. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

I do have the player set for 16:9 and it does display correctly.
    But, that wasn't what I was looking for. I was looking for a variable output mode that the tv could switch depending on the aspect ratio.

4. Kwang Suh

Kwang Suh Supporting Actor

The RP56 does not have any aspect ratio control. For the Toshiba, this isn't really a concern. For 4:3 material, simply set your TV into Standard mode. For non-anamorphic material, set your TV to Theaterwide 2 mode.
    If you're really lazy, then get something like the Toshiba SD-3750, which does have aspect ratio control.

5. Jeff D

Jeff D Supporting Actor

Kwang,
    I'm curious if this was posted before your other response. Would the 3750 really do what I want? If so I have no problem waiting.