Question for owners of the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD changer.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Apr 9, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I set up a Sony SCD-C222ES SACD changer in my second system last week and have a question for fellow owners. As the carousel drawer closes, I hear a steady ticking. The drawer goes tick-tick-tick steadily as it closes. I noticed the ticking the first day, but it seemed to go away. Now it seems to be back. Maybe it's a function of how many discs are loaded? I have no idea. Has anyone else noticed this on the 'C222ES? My 'C333ES and 'C555ES changers do not make the ticking noise. I don't think there is anything wrong with my 'C222ES because when I notice the ticking, the player does it consistently, meaning that I notice it every time I close the drawer within a listening session. Also, the drawer seems to open and close smoothly, and the discs load and play fine. I just find the ticking odd. I would appreciate any insight you might be able to offer. Thanks in advance.

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Correction: The ticking noise isn't steady as the drawer closes. Actually, the ticking gets faster as the drawer closes.

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I made an executive decision tonight. I am returning the 'C222ES to J&R. I've only had it a week, so I am well inside their 30-day return policy.

As I said above, I noticed a ticking sound with the carousel drawer out of the box, but it seemed to subside. Now it is back, whether or not there are discs loaded. What's more, I noticed later in the evening that occasionally, there is a delay between the time I push the open/close button and when the carousel drawer actually opens. Sometimes the drawer comes out right away, but sometimes there is a delay of a couple of seconds. I am afraid the carousel mechanism is dying on me. Fortunately, I had no discs in the player when I started to notice the delay. I decided to nip this in the bud because eventually, I could see the drawer getting jammed with discs inside.

The 'C222ES is a very nice player for $380, so it is unfortunate that I am having the problem with the carousel mechanism. I found that the 'C222ES sounds better with CDs and SACDs than the 'C333ES I have in the same system. The 'C333ES is built noticeably better, but the 'C222ES sounds better.

I have decided not to get another 'C222ES. While it is built much better than the 'CE775, it was immediately obvious to me that it is not built to the same standard as the 'C333ES. I noticed that everytime I opened the carousel drawers on the respective players. The differences I see in the carousel mechanisms I do not feel can be attributed to the problem I am having with the 'C222ES. The drawer on the 'C222ES clicks when it closes and occasionally doesn't open right away, but when it open and closes, it moves smoothly. However, the carousel on the 'C333ES is inherently better.

So, given the issues with the 'C222ES, I have decided to get a 'C555ES for the second system. J&R quoted me $550. It is on backorder, so I don't know when I will get it. I have a 'C555ES in my main system and have been thrilled with it. In the end, the price of the 'C555ES is very reasonable for what you get in terms of sound quality and build quality.

4. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

the ticking you are experiencing doesn't occur with mine

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rodney, thanks for the input. I posted the same question about the drawer on Audio Asylum, and someone who responded there said they do not observe clicking either. As I said, in my previous post in this thread, I am exchanging the 'C222ES for a 'C555ES.

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

on a related note, I just got the new HT mag that reviews the new pioneer 47 player. They really seemed to like it, nothing bad was said about the sound in sacd, dvd-a, or cd. I wish they would have compared it to a sony unit and said if they felt it was as good as the 222 or 555 or whatever, but they never did. They gave it a 92, which is very impressive for a unitt hat sells for $800 online. did you look at that unit at all??

only compliant was build quality

7. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I will also say the ticking you are experiencing doesn't occur with my units, one I have had since Santa gave it to me. The other I have had a short time from J&R.
    The drawer can be rather noisy at times changing the disc with those what sounds like clunks,
    But over all it been real good.
    The sound is only getting better as my disc collection continues to grow.[​IMG]

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry,

Are you saying that you have two 'C222ES players that don't make the ticking sound? Just curious. Something was definitely up with my player. It's boxed up and will go back to J&R tomorrow.

Rodney,

I looked at the '47A at Tweeter a few weeks ago and was unimpressed with the build quality. I briefly considered it for my home-theater and main stereo systems, but it is not the right component for me. For one thing, I don't really need a new DVD player. I have no need for progressive-scan output at present. Secondly, while the '47A has gotten high marks for DVD-Audio, I am not going to invest more in hardware for the format since new titles have not been appearing. Thirdly, while I don't know how the '47A would compare to the 'C555ES as an SACD or CD player (I already have a 'C555ES in these systems and would tend to favor it), I am perfectly happy with the 'C555ES, plus I have the '777ES in the main stereo system. So, I have no real need for the '47A.

Now, the 'C222ES was in my second stereo system. I have no TV in this room, so the '47A isn't the ideal component for the system. Furthermore, in returning the 'C222ES, I wanted another changer, so I would rather get the 'C555ES changer, which I know to be a first-rate audio component for $550 than the '47A, for $750-800. I would be very surprised if the '47A outperformed the 'C555ES. Reviews on Audio Asylum have been mixed for the '47A, and most of the criticism has focused on its handling of CDs and SACDs. Finally, I don't put any stock in the 92 rating for the '47A in Home Theater. In my opinion, Home Theater falls in the category of magazines that rarely, if ever, trash a component. Most reviews there are positive.

9. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Keith,

Yes I now have two of the 222's.

Neither of these make a sound as such.

One I have been using everyday since late Dec 01

The other one I just received from J&R.

The way you describe it, it almost sounds like maybe

something came loose while in shipping and is hanging down over the tray and is making contact of sorts as the tray goes in and spins?

10. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

Keith, ya, I just thought I would throw that one out. I know that HT mag really doesn't say much bad about many products, but they do give the ratings (which to me is saying something without really "ripping" on it, in other words the # to me is probably more important that the words in that mag, that being the case, a 92 is a very good # for them. The B&W cdm7nts I own got a 97 which was a great mark, I don't think of it as an absolute, b/c it is coming from a mag. some would say "ya, but B&W advertizes with HTMAG, so they wouldn't give them a low rating", yet they gave the CM's line by B&W a score of 85 (iirc) just last month, while that is not a super low rating, I expected it to be higher from other reviews I have heard and it certainly shows me that HTmag doens't "favor" B&W.

as you said, the 47's build quality is suspect, and actually that is the ONLY bad thing the mag had to say about the unit.

I am with you, i already have an A10 (excellent build quality) and have NO use of Prog scan at this time, so It really doesn't intrigue me at this point either, but when/if I get a HDTV I would have to look at it, but buy that time I am sure others will be out as well.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry,
    You could be right about the 'C222ES. It sounds like something was hitting the carousel drawer. Glad to hear you are enjoying the 'C222ES. Actually, both of them! [​IMG]
    Rodney,
    I agree with everything you said. The Technics 'A10 has served me very well for 14 months now, and I have no urge to replace it, irrespective of the lack of DVD-Audio software.