What's new

Question for owners of the R2 Carlton release of "The Prisoner" (1 Viewer)

Nicole P

Stunt Coordinator
Hello,

The Prisoner has finally been released in Australia and I have just finished watching all the episodes.

While the series itself is amazing, the DVD transfer isn't quite as top notch. The video does suffer from pixelation, but the question I would like to ask is about audio synch.

Synch goes on and off throughout the discs and does tend to be off by two or so frames more often than it is on. An example is the dialogue between No. 6 and Potter in "The Girl Who Was Death" The question "Busy Potter?" is out as well as Potter's response. The question "Where do I start?" appears better synchronised, but Potter's response is out again.

I'm guessing that our release was transferred from the Carlton masters, however I have not seen lip-synch mentioned in any R2 reviews so am wondering if it just affects our release?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Nicole P

James Reader

Screenwriter
I don't have a big screen television so often 'poor' transfers go unnoticed upon viewing.

However, the R2 Prisoner discs had terrible blocking artifacts (especially noticeable on large areas of dark colours) when viewed on my Apex player. I have since bought a Pioneer player and the same discs now show a perfect picture.

Not sure what's going on there. While I'm tempted to say the Apex player was of lesser quality, I never noticed the same problems on any other disc it played.

I have never noticed any problems with the sound sync on my R2 discs - perhaps it's time I watched them again!

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I've only ever played it through a Panasonic DVD player and a Phillips 32 inch, but no problems at all. In fact, I was v. impressed with the quality of the transfer and the freshness of the original print.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
James....

As much as I also noticed the "blockyness" when playing back via the APEX, this was not so apparent when I play these back via my MALATA.

This is the region 2 version.

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks