Question for owners of MFSL gold CD of Steely Dan *Aja*.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Aug 19, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

During the course of auditioning speakers over the weekend at a local dealer, I compared JM Lab Chorus 710 and Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers. The rest of the system consisted of a Marantz CC67SE carousel changer (older model) and NAD C 350 integrated amp. The dealer had the MFSL gold CD of Steely Dan Aja, which I do not own. I only have the recent MCA remaster, and I did not have it with me. I decided to include the MFSL version of Aja in my audition rotation since I love the music. Anyway, considering the fact that the system with either pair of speakers is a budget set-up in the grand scheme of things, the vocals on "Peg" sounded quite natural, especially through the JM Lab speakers. I commented to the salesman that there was "presence" in the vocals through the JM Lab speakers that was not there with the Paradigms, to which he responded by saying that JM Lab speakers have a far superior tweeter. I came away quite impressed with the vocals presented by the JM Lab Chorus 710s.
    Tonight, I listened to "Peg" off of my MCA remastered version of Aja through my better stereo system, which is quite a bit more expensive than the system I listened to at the dealer. My system consists of an NAD C 370 integrated amp biamped with an NAD C 270 power amp, Totem Arro speakers, and a Sony SCD-C555ES SACD/CD changer and SCD-777ES SACD/CD player. I played "Peg" through both the 'C555ES and '777ES, and as I expected, the sound was noticeably better through the '777ES. Overall, I thought that "Peg" sounded better through my system than what I remembered from my experience at the dealer the other day. However, the vocals sounded a bit more edgy and harsh in my system.
    I realize that there are a lot of variables in going from the dealer's listening room to my living room. Actually, everything is different between the two set-ups, including room acoustics and the CDs used. [​IMG] The differences I feel I experienced in the vocals in my set-up and that of the dealer's could come down to, among many things, hardware. Still, I wonder if the different versions of Aja could play a role. Has anyone compared the MFSL gold CD of Aja to the MCA remaster? I have read in the past that Aja was not one of MFSL's better efforts due to the master that was used. Nevertheless, how do the vocals compare on the MFSL gold CD and MCA remaster? I'm curious if anyone has done the comparison. I plan on going back to this dealer this coming weekend to listen to the JM Lab speakers again, and I will bring my copy of Aja to compare it to the MFSL disc. Still, if anyone has experiences to share, please share them! Thanks in advance.
    NP: Creedence Clearwater Revival Pendulum DCC gold CD

2. charles white

charles white Second Unit

I believe that version of MFSL's Aja is part of the first series of Ultradisc mastering. I have the MFSL version of Aja and the original ABC Records vinyl edition(with the biographical liner notes) and I play the vinyl more often than the CD.