Question for owners of KEF Q series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris*Liberti, Jan 24, 2003.

1. I am considering building a setup with KEF Q series speakers. I am looking at the Q7 for L/R, the Q9c for center, the Q2ds for side surround, and eventually the Q1 for rear surrounds. I am just wondering how everyone likes them. How would you describe the sound. How well do the work for music/HT? I also have an SVS 16-46pci sub which I will be using with them. I currently have M&K S-125 L/C/R and no surrounds and to get the surrounds I want (the SS-150) it costs almost as much as an entire setup of KEF's. Thanks for the help.

2. sean strugnell

Hi Chris,
    I have an older Q series setup that I purchased 4 years ago, and I can assure you that you won't be disspointed. My speakers are equally adept at music and HT. I auditioned them against similarily priced B&W's and Mission speakers, and there was no contest. A really nice feature of all the UniQ series is their off-axis response - the sweet spot is MUCH larger than other brands. As a lot of HT setups are difficult to arrange having your front 3 speakers all line up at ear-level, this is very important. Also, the KEF's are quiite efficient, so they do not need monster amps to make them sound good. I have a nicely powered receiver now, but my previous receiver (cheapie Yamaha) was rather anemic, yet had no problems driving the KEF's.

However, as most people here will tell you, the best idea would be to bring home a set and see if they sound good with the rest of your equipment.

3. Bri~A

Bri~A Agent

Hey Chris,
    I have a setup similar to what you have described... Q7's, a Q9c, and Q1's for surrounds. I have to say I am very happy with them. The sound is somewhat laid back in my opinion, and so you may want to make sure you listen before you buy. The sound is great. As Sean said, the Uni-Q design gives an incredibly large sweet spot to these speakers, which is key if you don't intend to have a set "listening position" in your room. The build quality is good as well. These speakers are solid and come with a good set of carpet spikes. Just be careful that you have enough room that you can keep the backs of the Q7's a foot or two away from the wall, since they are ported both on the front and the back. I do not regret my purchase one bit. Highly recommended here.

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide on and your impression of the Q2ds's. I am wondering how they perform. Thanks!

~Bri

4. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

A set of Q7 fronts/Q5 rears/center channel is set up at my brother's house with a Marantz 9200 receiver. The sound is quite good, as the midrange is very smooth, the top end well detailed and airy, and tight bass (but not copious amounts). Imaging and soundstaging are very good for the price bracket, and the speakers in maple do look quite good. The real appeal of these speakers is the smoothness and clarity of the midrange, which is a sonic hallmark shared with their Reference line. I have been very impressed with the performance of these speakers for the money, and find that they mated extremely well with the Marantz 9200. I have heard the same speakers with the 8200, and they sound really good, but the 9200 really wrings a larger amount of dynamic energy out of these speakers. Hope this helps...

5. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Kef Q-Series right after Thanksgiving....

Q7 Mains
    Q1 surrounds on 36" stands
    Q9c center

Powered by an el cheapo Denon AVR 2802 in a 5000sq foot room (15x20 w/ 20ft cathedral ceiling) they sound great for both HT and music (including multi-channel). I am getting ready to buy the extra cables to set up my dvd-a functionality on my Panny CP-72.

I am very, very satified with the Kefs. They pair nicely with the low cost Denon (I wanted to spend more on speakers given my limited start-up budget). And while they are fairly efficient at 91dB, I think they could/would benefit from more power----I'm thinking about adding a 2 or 3 channel 150-200w amp to really power up the Q7s. That, or I'm going to upgrade my receiver later in the year.

However, I also have a SVS 25-31PC+ sub so I'm not exactly hurting hurting for low bass. But I think more power would improve the high and mid bass on the big Q7s.

The Kefs are a great value and are widely available at deep discounts. They sound clear, not too bright, and portray a big/wide sound stage. My Q7s are a bit over 8 feet apart too. The Uni-Q array naturally makes for a very wide sweet spot.

And finally, the new Kef Qs are very beautiful to look at. I have some pics at: http://web.tampabay.rr.com/slewis/ht/

Sean in Norcal

6. Donald_Spry

Donald_Spry Stunt Coordinator

How do you guys feel about the Q5's? I have the Q3's and I feel I am missing a bit in the mid's. I am afraid the Q7's might be boomy because of the rear port, and I dont have that much room behind them (bedroom).

Would a small sub help?

DJ

7. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

Donald,

I auditioned the Q3s, 5s, and 7s. The 7s sounded the best hands down. Mine are approx. 16" away from the front wall, but I am running the port plugs in the rear (for the 6x9 'racetrack' woofers).

See pic:

[​IMG]

(hit refresh a few times if it doesn't load)

In this configuration they don't sound boomy to me.

-Sean

8. Mark_Haanraadts

I've been a KEF fan since quite a while. My first Uni-Q speakers where the Q80, replaced by the Q90 which I replaced by Reference Model Two's (which are now my side speakers). That's only for the main speakers...

This is my current speaker setup:
    Main: Kef Reference Model Three (also owned: Q80 and Q90)
    Side: Kef Reference Model Two (also owned: Q55)
    Center: Kef Reference Model 200C (also owned: Model 100)
    Rear: Kef Q15 (also owned: Q10)

I think KEF has the very best A/V-sound due to Uni-Q. On top of that, they sound great for music too. Highly recommended.

Mark

PS. does anyone has experience biwiring the Ref Series? I'm curious if that will improve the sound even more)

9. Thanks for the help. I ended up getting the SS-150 M&K's instead of the KEF setup because I found a great deal on a new pair of M&K's