Question for Old School Van Halen Fans

Discussion in 'Music' started by Richard Burzynski, Nov 5, 2003.

1. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

I am trying to track down a song I hear fairly often here on 104.3FM in NY. It has what seems to be a lengthy Eddie Guitar intro, to what I think is Pretty Woman. I fired up my stock version of Pretty Woman on my Diver Down CD, and there is no guitar intro.

Does anyone know the song I am referring to? I REALLY WANT this song for my collection.

Thanks.

Rich B.

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

are you thinking of "Intruder" the track which proceeds "(Oh) Pretty Woman" on DD??

or "Eruption" which proceeds "You Really Got Me" on VH1

3. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

Richard,
    The above poster is correct. On the Diver Down album, there is a track called "Intruder" which is basically the intro straight into "Ohh Pretty Woman". They blend together into one song, but the CD may be marked to start "Ohh Pretty Woman" seperately. So, try playing "Intruder" and seeing if that is the guitar track you are interested in.

Of note, they created "Intruder" to fit the video for "ohh pretty woman". The video was too long for the song, so they created the intro to fit the video timelength. If you ever saw the video, you'd LOL. Its as low-budget as they come. Each bandmember is dressed up as some character and they all are trying to save a maiden in distress (who is tied up at the stake by midgets.) David is Napolean, Alex is Tarzan, Michael is a samari (IIRC) and Eddie is a cowboy. At the end of the video, they discover the maiden was a cross-dressing dude. It got banned by MTV for this (when MTV actually had standards).

There is also a very well known guitar track on the self-title first album by Van Halen called "Eruption". The radio station may be playing that. But, its typically does not go with "Pretty Woman". On the disc, the next track is "You Really Got Me". On the "Best of Volume 1", I think it leads into "Aint Talkin Bout Love".

On Van Halen II, there is an acoustic guitar track called "spanish fly", but I doubt that would be played on the radio.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

5. Richard Burzynski

Richard Burzynski Second Unit

"Intruder" + "(Oh) Pretty Woman" = not it, just listened to it.

"Eruption" + "You Really Got Me" = EXACTLY!

I just samlped Eruption online via Google. Now I just need to buy a copy of VH1, I hope it's available as a digital remaster.

THANKS!

Rich B.

6. michael_mo

michael_mo Stunt Coordinator

Yep!
    They remastered the first 6 Van Halen albums a few years back. 1000% improvement over the original cds.
    "Eruption" is also on 'Best of, Volume 1' (but "You really go me" is not.) Its not "remastered" per se, but the production on the disc is very good.
    IMO, pick up the "van halen" disc, its one of the all time classics and should be part of anyone's library. Then, if you like it, pick up "Fair Warning" and "1984" next. "FW" is the hands-down favorite of most hard-core van halen fans.

7. TommyH

TommyH Agent

If you want to hear another cool intro...check out the one before "Mean Street" off of Fair Warning....I agree Fair Warning is one of their best. Van Halen I is a must have. Check out "I'm the One" of off VH I that song is insane!

Van Halen 2 has some nice moments as well.

8. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Just for your info, "Van Halen I" was also available as a DCC 24K gold CD remastered by Steve Hoffman. This came out right before the Warner Brothers remastered CDs.

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I could be wrong, but could Richard be referring to the guitar into to "Little Guitars" off Diver Down?

10. Greg_C_T

Greg_C_T Second Unit

The "Eruption/You Really Got Me" combo is a sweet 1-2 punch. Back in my high school basketball days, we'd play that over the PA before we came onto the court for pre-game warmups. As soon as Eruption finished, we'd hit the floor to the opening chords of YRGM. Talk about intense--too bad our team sucked. [​IMG]

Agreeing with the other posters here, pick up the recent remasters of Van Halen, Fair Warning, and 1984. Van Halen II is good, too. [​IMG]

11. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

OT - but isn't "You really got me" there first radio hit ?

I recall it was on WRKO in Boston (back when they played music - I'm getting REAL old...) every morning at 6:45am when my alarm went off.

12. ElevSkyMovie

ElevSkyMovie Supporting Actor

It was probably a casualty of VH wanting to keep BOVI a one disc set. That severly limits what you can put on it.

13. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

The curse of using Volume One in one's "Greatest Hits" album continues....

14. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Oh yes, this thread prompted me to stuff my 6 disc full of VH. Check Push Comes to Shove off Fair Warning. The guitar work on that song is amazing.

Yes Tommy, I'm the One (from Van Halen I) is some of the most relentless guitar I've ever heard. Anyone remember the naysayers of the time, all the EVH backlash from more veteran guitar players. Saying he was all "flash" and "effects." He played with no more and some of the same effects as Hendrix (and others) did almost a decade earlier. Pretty primitive equipment by today's standards. The guy was original, and now in hindsight, I'm sure some of those veterans now regret there jealous laden comments. Early EVH's guitar work still sounds fresh and unattainable. All the ones(copycats) that cames after just didn't get quite right.

15. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Well said, Zen.

I had the pleasure of seeing VH in 1978, when they were still an opening act for Sabbath (at the now defunct Cape Cod coliseum).

I had already acquired the LP of VH1, but there were few kids in the parking lot that had ever heard of them. I was playing a cassette dub, but I don't think anyone really knew what they were hearing.

Anyway, great show, from two of my favorite bands. One unfortunately on the way down, one most definitely on the way up.

BGL

16. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    Same show was done out here, same year at Anaheim Stadium. I missed it (I was 11). If I may add, the notion of Edward Van Halen as an unemotional guitar player. I just don't see any validity when he is so able to play with ours. His playing almost toys with you.

About 82-83, I remember him on a local station (KMET, KLOS?) He played an elongated version of Spanish Fly live, about 2 1/2 minutes. Compare that to the 58 second nugget we now have. If only I had my tape recorder on that evening. Like the respected John McLaughlin said after hearing Spanish Fly for the first time, "Where's the rest, I want more!"