Question for Neil Young Fans

Discussion in 'Music' started by Angelo.M, Jul 18, 2003.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

I've been a casual fan of some of Neil stuff for quite a while, and have picked up Harvest, Harvest Moon, Unplugged and Silver and Gold over the years. Anything else in the catalog that is similar in tone to these records? I'm less a fan of his edgier stuff.

2. Rick_Brown

Rick_Brown Second Unit

After The Goldrush?

3. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Have you considered picking up Buffalo-Springfield, which he was a member of? I like his UNPLUGGED. I have the LD of it instead of the CD. As much as I love his older work, I'm crazy about ROCKING IN THE FREE WORLD. I like alot of his albums and it's hard for me to say I have a favourite but EVERYBODY KNOWS THIS IS NOWHERE is awfully good. Crosby, Stilles, Nash & Young's live album 4-WAY STREET is another possibility...? His carreer is long and varied...

4. Ryan_TD

Ryan_TD Stunt Coordinator

Well, If you're into more mellow Neil Young stuff - 'Comes A Time' comes to mind. It was kind of like a "sequel" to Harvest released in 1978. The title track, 'Look Out For My Love', 'Lotta Love', and 'Human Highway' are just a few examples of Neil's magic. Great album.
    Also, 'Tonight's The Night' is pretty dark and mellow, although there are some rockers like "Come on baby, Let's go Downtown" and "World On A String". One of his best.
    His first solo album, "Neil Young" might be another good choice. Classic debut with a couple of nice little instrumental pieces as well as some great songs like 'The Loner', 'I've Been Waiting For You', 'The Old Laughing Lady' and 'I've Loved Her So Long'.

5. Daniel Baseman

all the albums you have mentioned so far are incredible...
    Tonight's the Night and Everybody Knows this is Nowhere are absolutely essential though.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Yes, Angelo - try Neil's 1978 album, Come A Time. Beautiful album, but 'Motorcycle Moma' is a fly in the ointment if ever there was one - I have yet to hear a Rusty admit to liking it! [​IMG] But 'Look Out For My Love' is a masterpiece - just ask Randy Newman. [​IMG]

On The Beach is out now... in Britain, I have it and love it. Great to finally replace that old bootle-- err... vinyl copy I have. [​IMG] On The Beach is one of those rare moments in Rock when all the bullshit recedes from the shore and it "all gets real".

# I never knew a man could tell so many lies
    He had a different story for every set of eyes
    How could remember who he's talking to?
    'Cause I know it isn't me, and I hope it isn't you... #
    - 'Ambulance Blues', one of Neil's
    very best songs.

Be warned: Once you start a Neil Young collection, it is VERY hard to stop if you like what you hear! [​IMG]

Long may you run!

Gordy

7. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

"On the Beach" is phenomenal. I can't believe it took so long for it to make it to CD (and then DVD-A).

"Well all those people, they think they got it made,
    But I wouldn't sell, buy, borrow or trade
    Anything I have to be like one of them.
    I'd rather start all over again."
    --Motion Pictures

8. TommyJD

TommyJD Stunt Coordinator

Freedom and especially Hawks And Doves features the mellow side of Neil Young.Also Greendale features a bonus DVD of a solo acoustic Neil doing the complete Greendale CD.A must own is After The Goldrush which features some amazingly beautiful Neil Young songs.I love Neil both mellow and edgy.My personal favs are "Cortez The Killer","Like A Hurricane" ,"Powderfinger","After The Goldrush"...the list goes on and on.

9. ChuckSolo

ChuckSolo Screenwriter

There are some good examples of his work on Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young albums. Check out "Deja Vu" for some really good work by Neil Young. He also played with his band "Crazy Horse" during the 80's and 90's.

10. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

Despite the fact that it's a compilation and one that was released in 1977 at that, I would recommend Decade to anyone. [​IMG]

It's a fantastic collection that also has some rare tracks such "Down to the Wire" which is a rocking track. I recently acquired On the Beach and I wasn't that impressed with it.

11. JohnTRU

JohnTRU Stunt Coordinator

Well, 'After the Gold Rush' (as mentioned) is absolutely essential. For the more mellow stuff, try the first half of 'Rust Never Sleeps', which is all acoustic, plus as a bonus for buying the first half, you get the second half for free which joins together with the first half to make his best album... Although 'On the Beach' is pretty darn spectacular.

Everyone else has mentioned his other essentials, but I will say to you not to discount his electric material. I'm not sure what you're meaning when you say "edgier" stuff, but to me, his electric work is far more rewarding. This way you get 'Everybody Knows This is Nowhere', 'Ragged Glory', 'Sleeps With Angels', 'Rust Never Sleeps' and 'Weld' (live album).

12. Nathan Stohler

Nathan Stohler Second Unit

Unfortunately, I just can't get into Greendale. I tried really, really hard to like it, but I just can't get past the silly, convoluted story line. A lot of the music and melodies are good, but the lyrics just don't do it for me.

I believe he's done two Greendale tours now (I went to the first one). I'm ready for a new tour. I like the fact that you can see him several times (on different tours) and get a completely different and brilliant set list.

Some of my favorite songs by Neil are:

Powderfinger
    Down by the River
    From Hank to Hendrix
    Words
    Out on the Weekend
    Old Man
    Heart of Gold (my license plate is HRT O GLD)
    Ambulance Blues
    Cortez the Killer
    Long May You Run
    The Campaigner

I could go on and on...

13. Aaron_Mum

Aaron_Mum Stunt Coordinator

If I could only keep one album it would be: Everybody Knows this is Nowhere. Enjoy!