Question for n0rh owners

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allen Longcor, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Allen Longcor

Allen Longcor Supporting Actor

Or anyone who has listened to n0rh speakers. Are there any sonic differences between the marble, ceramic, and wood models of their speakers? Or is it just aesthetics? Any help is appreciated.

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The marble, synthetic marble and ceramic are all sonically identical so the choice among these options boils down strictly to asthetics and price. The wood horns and the wood prisms are close to each other (a little more bass from the prism varients because there is more volume in the cabinets), and color the sound a little since the wood cabinets are not as dead. Sound a little warmer, less revealing. Some may prefer the sound of the wood. The wood looks great with first rate craftsmanship.

3. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

I own the marble 7.0s and absolutely love them. I have never experienced such a wide, detailed soundstage and intricate detail in a sound system before. I've never heard the wood or ceramic speakers, but from reviews and the website they are just as what Brian has stated. I love the marble, or synthetic marble because there is no cabinet coloration at all. It can seem a little analytical at first, but it really smooths out over time. The marble probably is not as warm sounding, but I find it extremely pleasant and not-fatiguing. I know you will be impressed with any of the Norh's.

4. Allen Longcor

I was thinking about going with a pair of 5.1's (for some reason doesn't come in marble, only synthetic) for mains, a shielded 4.0 marble for center, and two 4.0's for surrounds. The total would be around $1500. Or if I went with wood all around it would be about $950 as a package deal. The 5.1's are only $100 more for the pair, so I can't see a reason not to go with those over 4.0's as mains. The more I discuss this, the more I really want to give n0rh a go in my system. I think their look is unique and almost every single owner has praised them. I may have to do it when I get some money together.

5. Terry Flink

Terry Flink Stunt Coordinator

If you are gonna run a sub with the setup I would recommend going with 4.0's all around. I got ceramic 4.0s with an SVS 20-39CS and they sound amazing. I am a firm believer in identical speakers all the way around. The advantage of the 5.1's is deeper bass extention due to the larger volume. Again, this might be a moot point if you are running a dedicated sub.

For $1500.00 you could pick up ceramic 4.0's and an SVS sub...just a thought

6. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

I've owned or extensively demo'd the wood 4.0's, the prism 4.1's, the marble 4.0's, the wood 5.1's, the wood 7.0's, the marble 7.0's, the wood 9.0's, and the marble 9.0's. In every case, the inert cabinets made a pretty large improvement over the wood drums. The ceramic and synthetic marble speakers are sonically very similar to the marble versions. I would go with the marble or ceramic speakers, no question, if best performance for the $$ was a priority. . .

7. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Terry. If you're running a sub, go for the 4.0's all around since the extra extension from the 5.1's will be moot. I had the 5.1/4.0 wood combo, and now have the marble 4.0's all around. I definitely prefer the sound of the marbles over the wood....can't comment on the ceramic or synthetic (neither were available when I bought). I haven't been keeping up with norh lately, but I wouldn't hesitate to pay the extra again for the sound (and asthetics) of the marble vs. the wood if I were to do it over.

8. Neil N

Neil N Stunt Coordinator

Tyson....since you just replied....you know I blame you for my norh purchases due to your enthusiastic posts on audioreview back in early/mid 2000. [​IMG]

9. Tyson

Tyson Stunt Coordinator

Hehe, sorry about that Neil [​IMG]
    You know, I have had probably 6 or 7 people over that were in the market for new speakers. Every one of them ended up getting some type of nOrh speaker after each demo. These truly are great speakers for the $$, particularly the marble/ceramic/SM speakers.
    BTW, do you still go over to AR anymore? I got flamed so much that I eventually just got fed up and left.

10. Joe-T

Joe-T Stunt Coordinator

(Please pardon me going OT)

Tyson,

You seem to be a Norh expert reviewer, so I have some questions for you regarding the marble Norh 7.0s. I purchased them somewhat recently and am very impressed with the sound, no complaints there. The one thing that I can't yet shake is the imperfections.

I realize that they are hand carved and thus each cabinet would be unique. I can easily overlook any minor imperfections (even mass market products have them), but the two speaker cabinets have different shapes. One is wider and then slopes off quickly to form the port. The other tapers off more gradually. I am trying to ascertain whether this makes a difference. Do your Norh horn speakers have any shape differences as well?

I was told by Mr. Barnes that it takes >10% difference in internal volume to be noticible, but the left side did seem louder (shift in soundstage). I used the balance knob to compensate. Later, I switched the speakers and set the balance to the middle and the soundstage was centered. The left side of the room is rather live sounding (solid wall with no real absorption/dispersion) compared to the right side which has closed doors to disperse the sound. Therefore, if it were room acoustics, when I switched the speakers, the left side should still be louder. It seems that one of the speakers is louder than the other. I will try a close SPL measurment ASAP. Any comments?

One last thing. When I tried somewhat heavy bass material through them full range, I heard some chuffing and distortion from the tweeter. I was also able to feel air thru the tweeter. Mr. Barnes told me to tighten the tweeters. I'm wondering if you've ever noticed this at all.

For all you prospective Norh purchasers, please don't let this deter you. The sound is absolutly mesmerizing and worth so much more than what I paid for it. I just have a few kinks to work out. What sound system doesn't?

11. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Here's another vote for all 4.0s + SVS. I have the ceramics and they are simply amazing, all the more so because of the price. I think some people think that an inert cabinet and a neutral sound somehow translates into some harsh or brittle, even. It is in fact quite the opposite - the ceramics/marble/SMs give you the sound unfiltered, unchanged, with the detail of a Tom Clancy novel.

I just got a pair of wood 3.0s (no ceramic version available yet) for the computer and they are quite good, but they do seem less detailed. Of course, they have lesser electronics driving them, no sub, and a different driver (but similar sonic signature supposedly [inadvertant alliteration]), so I could be wrong. A/Bing them would be too logical.

12. Glen_L

Glen_L Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for the nOrh 4.0 + SVS combo. Although I would have gone with the marble rather than ceramic if I had it to do over again. Ah well...
    BTW, I still have some pics up from a month ago in this thread if you're interested.

13. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

I've had some of the ceramic 4.0 for about a month and they are finally getting a little better with break-in.....

At first, there was no midrange and the bass was so muffled and the imaging was way laid back....... not my cup of tea since I am so used to large cabinets and in-your-face mids.

Time has certainly made them better. These Norh ceramics image very well and although still not strong in the mids, they have a pleasing sound that makes you want to turn 'em up. I would still like for them to have more mid range but overall, they are doing a good job.

I also have a pair of the 3.0 wood and they are certainly not in the same league as the 4.0.

My end result is that I will sell both pair of the Norh as I do with all the speakers I buy (there's been several) that don't push out my old stuff. That doesn't take anything away from the Norh, just that they aren't as good as my present setup. If I don't sell them, the Norh will become my bedroom system where the looks alone will knock someones pants off. These Norh are real works of art.

BTW: my GF preferred the Norh sound over my existing setup because of their laid back imaging. Now she's gone....lol

14. Jeff North

Jeff North Banned

Allen,
    Just thought I would chime in here and say I have been very pleased with my ceramic nOrh 4.0, SVS 25-31 combo. They blend together VERY well and is (IMO) the best bang for the buck out there!!
    OT
    I also blame (Actually THANK!!) Tyson for influencing both the decision for SVS and nOrh back about the same time as Neil!! I also do not go back no AR anymore. The static to information ratio is way to high. It is either here or HD. IMO AR has either gone way downhill or I have realised how bad it was in the first place [​IMG]
    Jeff North (aka NorthBear)

15. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Haven't heard the ceramic models but I do own a pair of wood Norh 4s (purchased used). They appear to be very well made, are beautifully finished, can play loud without sounding harsh, and exhibit wide horizontal dispersion. However, after extended listening, I have been somewhat disappointed in their overall sound quality. To me, the primary problems are a depressed response in the lower midrange (below 1KHz)that tends to impose a distinct coloration to most program material and a slight peak in response in the top end around 6-7KHz that tends to over accentuate sibilances. IMO, there are other speakers in the $400/pair price range that are more neutral sounding. Also, the wood model I have is VERY susceptable to being tipped over due to having only 3 feet (tripod) rather than 4 as the ceramic and marble models do.

Bottom line: If I could do it over, I'd have tried the ceramics or some other brand in this price range.

16. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Allen,

Until last week, for two years I ran the 5.1 video set with an SVS Sub (Pair of 5.1 Wood for main, 4.0 Wood center, Pair 4.0 Wood surround) and couldn't have been happier with them. Just last week I upgraded to the brand new Mini 9.0. So far I am very pleased with them, but I want to give them more break-in before giving my full report. But anyway...in your case, I would definitely go with either an all 4.0 Ceramic/Marble setup, or go with 3 SM 5.1 for the 3 front channels, and 2 4.0 for the rear. Just email Michael Barnes and he will give you a price if you want to buy just three of the same speaker (rather than just a pair).

Scott

17. Allen Longcor

Wow thanks for all the responses guys. I don't normally see norh threads here so I wasn't sure how many people owned them. You sure make it easy to give norh a try.

18. Jeff North

Jeff North Banned

19. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Yes...what North said...I only wish I'd found out about that forum sooner than only a month ago!

20. GregE

GregE Agent

Harmonic Discord is evil. They brain wash you and make you spend all of your money on gear. Then when you get the stuff you spend all of your time just sitting there listening and drooling all over yourself. My wife and friends tried an intervention once. It didn't work as I'm still addicted to it all.

greg

nOrh addict

SM 6.9

ceramic 4.0

5 Les Amps