1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Question for MS Word Experts

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, May 2, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Is there a way that anyone knows of to have a document link to/embed part of another document? If, for example, I had two large documents, and wanted to create a third summery doc that was selected sections from the other two, is there a way to do this (and keep things up to date like any cross reference)?

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    My gut thought is to not even try it. This sounds similar to what the Master Document feature does, linking multiple documents into a master doc to create larger books. Master Document is notorious for destroying documents randomly.

That said, you want to learn about OLE, embedded objects, and linked objects. Search Word Help for OLE and you will find information on the topic. I've never used this feature, so I can't comment on its efficacy.

3. Christo Ramo

Christo Ramo Stunt Coordinator

I think you might be able to that with Excel or Access, but I don't know how to do it.

4. Keith Outhouse

Keith Outhouse Stunt Coordinator

Open a new doc. Copy text from doc1. Return to new doc and do edit paste special. Select link and Word Document object. Repeat with various sections as needed.

5. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    I think a more direct approach is to:

- place the mouse at the spot in the document where you want to create a link
    - select Insert>Object
    - select the "create from file tab"
    - use the browse button to chose the file
    - select "link to file" and/or "display as icon" as desired