Question for Microsoft experts

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Mark Paquette, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Mark Paquette

Mark Paquette Supporting Actor

What is the rule of thumb for the sizing of the virtual memory setting in Windows 2000 Server? I've always understood it to be 1.5 x the amount of RAM. Does this still hold true with 2000 Server? Also, once you reach a certain amount of RAM does a page file become more of a problem than a solution? The particular server I'm configuring has 1GB of RAM. Thanks.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

There is no 1.5x or 2.0x or any other sizing rule of thumb ... period. It all comes down to what the server will be used for.

If you can provide more information on what the server will be doing and its memory/hard drive configuration, that will be of immense help.

3. Mark Paquette

The server will be used as a web server; running IIS on Windows 2000 server OS. Basically the web pages running on the server take requests for information from a database on another computer and pass it on to the internet. It has 1GB of memory and I believe 10GB hard drive. Also, it has a Pentium III 500 Mhz processor.

4. John_Berger

So it's primarily going to be packet pushing. That's low impact stuff regarding memory.

Is this web site very dynamic (as in always changing with different results every time someone hit the page) like with an e-commerce or portal or is it pretty static? The reason that I'm asking is that if the content is pretty static, you might want to implement caching to reduce the need to call the server, but that will increase memory requirements. If everything is going to the database anyway, there is no need for caching, and that will change the answer to your question.

5. Mark Paquette

Yes, the web pages will be dynamic, with different results everytime the page is produced. There are some buttons and logos that are static, but that's about it. It could be classified as an e-commerce web site.

6. John_Berger

Then I doubt that you'll need a lot of swap space. Maybe 512 MB if that. Because that system will be doing packet pushing almost exclusively, I would not be very concerned about having a lot of swap space.

7. Mark Paquette

Thanks for your help. I'll give the change a try and see how it goes.