question for Marantz receiver owners about pre-outs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Hine, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hello all,
    I'm using the SR-5000 as the main receiver and an external amp to power speakers for whole house audio. For listening in the main room the volume only needs to be turned up to around -45db. However the external amplifier does not receive a signal unless the receiver is turned up to around -88db, WAY too loud for the main room. Does this sound correct or does it sound like the preamps in the receiver are not working correctly? Any help/input on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance,
    Dan Hine

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Can anyone tell me if this is normal?
    Thanks,
    Dan

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

It sounds to me that you have a similar problem I have with my Rotel AMP. If I setup my AMP to turn on with a signal from the receiver everything is fine, but eventually it turns itself back off. Turns out the signal is not strong enough from the receiver for the AMP to sense and stay on. If your amp has a 12v trigger then get a 12v adapter from Radio shack and plug that into the receiver AC outlet and amp.
    Kevin

4. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Thanks Kevin, but somehow I don't think that is it. The amp is on and running fine. It just isn't getting enough signal unless the receiver is turned WAY up. Once I turn the receiver up beyond a comfortable listening level the signal LED's on the amp show incoming signal. Any other ideas? This is really bugging me. [​IMG]
    Dan

5. Jeff D.

Jeff D. Supporting Actor

Dan:
    My first guess is that something is wrong with the amp. I don't like these automatic signal detecting gizmos - any way to defeat it? If not, my guess is that perhaps its faulty.
    There is the possibility that the pre-outs are not functioning properly. That is doubtful however. The preamp in the receiver is running fine - evidenced by the fact that the receiver on its own works perfectly fine.
    I would check cabling, if they are long runs, making sure they are of decent quality and are functioning properly. Try and sub in a different amp (without signal detection) and see if there is any change.
    But my guess is the amps are faulty.
    ----
    Jeff
    ------------------
    "They're coming to get you Barbara..."

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Sorry guys, I really wasn't clear. I'll go in depth. This amp does NOT turn on by seeing a signal. The signal LED's only serve to reassure that there is indeed signal coming in, not that the amp is now turning on. It only turns on by the power switch on the front. It also has two volume knobs (one for each channel) on the front (it is a QSC RMX 1450). Now, I have used this exact amp with a cd player going through a mackie mixer with the same cables and it works wonderfully. Since the amp has its own volume controls I also used those same cables from the CD player straight to the amp, slowly turning the volume up as to not damage the speakers. Once again everything was fine. Move said cables over to receiver outs and it's a no go.
    Seeing as the amp works great otherwise has lead me to believe the problem lies in the receiver. And the fact that the receivers amps work doesn't make me certain that it's outputs should work. I guess what I was looking for was that since the owners manual is almost completely worthless I was wondering if perhaps there was a setting that I was missing that would change the setup for the outputs....or something. Perhaps that is not the case. So what I will do is borrow another receiver with main outs and try that. I'll let you all know what the outcome is. Thanks for your input guys...sorry I made this drag out longer than it should have.. [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

7. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I have a Marantz SR7000 and although I don't use the multi-room feature I seem to remember that in the set-up menu there is a setting for the output volume of the second room line-out. I'm not sure if this applies to the SR5000.
    Hope this helps
    KrisM

8. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Hello Dan,

A couple of things. Are you saying you are not getting enough volume in the room with the QSC amp? Need more info please.

One thing you must remember though, the "knobs" on from the QSC are not volume control. The knobs are gain controls, not volume. You first need to set your receivers levels before you set the amp gain controls. You will then use the master volume knob on your reciever to change the volume level. If all this sounds a little vague, sorry. Can you give exact details as to your dilema please.

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I would guess that when using an external preamp you should have those gain knobs on the amps ALL THE WAY UP.

10. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Hello everyone,
    Sorry for the delay in my response. I have been very busy that I haven't even been able to "play" with my problem.
    First:
    John,
    I know these are gain knobs. Chalk that up to a brain blunder at the moment. :b
    Which leads me to:
    John and Philip,
    I have not attempted to make it work with the gain controls turned to max. Yeah, I'll almost bet that's it and should have known it. I guess I've just always been tentative about turning knobs all the way to the right![​IMG]
    Next:
    Kris,
    I have not been able to access any kind of setup menu on the 5000. How do you do this with the 7000?
    Finally,
    John and the rest,
    I will give you an update hopefully this evening. I may not have to elaborate on my dilema. Wouldn't that be nice? lol...
    Thanks,
    Dan Hine

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

12. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Yes, chalk it up to user error. Thanks everyone for their input! [​IMG]
    Thanks much,
    Dan Hine