What's new

Question for Marantz 7200 owners (1 Viewer)

Nick EV

Auditioning
I have a Marantz SR7200, which is Dolby EX or DTS ES capable (Matrixed only). The issue is when the system is in Auto mode it will not detect EX or ES encoded material and the rear centre channel is dormant. In order to utilise the rear centre channel you have to force the system into 6.1ch surround mode.

That’s fine except when in this mode the audio for the DVD software menus is muted as 6.1ch surround mode will only utilise 5.1 digital data (or better). i.e. if the DVD software menu sound set-up is in stereo or Dolby pro logic the 6.1ch surround mode will not decode this data. The other pain is if I put in a CD and listen to it on the DVD I have to constantly change the surround sound mode from 6.1ch surround to Auto or stereo so I can hear something. Similarly if I am in source direct the system will only operate in Auto mode therefore no sound from the rear centre even if it is EX or ES encoded.

Am I doing something wrong or is this just how this receiver operates. If this is the case then the receiver isn’t detecting the EX or ES flags so is the 6.1ch surround mode decoding the rear centre data correctly?

Any ideas?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This receiver IS capable of both matrix and EX/ES decoding and reproduction, as stated by Marantz. The provided sixth channel is powered, and properly decoded.

This is an obvious one, but you have to select EX/ES from the menu on the disc. In auto, it may or may not pick it up. 6ch is NOT EX/ES, that is matrixed. I usually force TS or DD when listening to a disc with that type of track.

Try - T2: Ultimate Edition, Toy Story II, Gladiator, Superspeedway:Mach II, etc... I got plenty of rear center with these on my 6200

Nick EV

Auditioning
John

I always make sure I select the correct audio set-up on the DVD software. Region 4 DVDs such as Star Wars: Episode 1 and Exorcist (25 Annversiary) only have Dolby Digital EX sound tracks so the correct signal should be automatically sent to the receiver anyway. The SR7200 definitely works well in 6.1 mode as the EX DVDs I have tried really make good use of the rear centre.

What annoys me is that in AUTO mode on the receiver it still will not decode into 6.1 even with the EX setting selected on the DVD software. For me to get it to work I have to force the receiver into 6.1ch channel mode. What I want to know is that how the receiver works, because my brothers Yamaha automatically will detect EX/ES stuff and decode it appropriately.

Another note when in 6.1ch channel mode are your DVD software menus muted?

/Nick.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, the menus are muted when you force DTS/6.1, because they are usually some form of DD, often 2.0.

I suppose the Auto detect doesn't know the difference when it sees EX/ES and is defaulting to a 5.1 format first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks