What's new

Question for Marantz 5200, 6200 owners (1 Viewer)

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I just got my Marantz 5200 today and I have a question about the volume. I'm using Paradigm Mini Monitors as my front speakers. When I listen to music and watch movies with DTS and DD, I have to turn the volume up to about -15 to get it loud enough. Is this about right? What volume do you all usually listen to music at and watch DVD's?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
First, I would recommend ref calibrating the speakers with an SPL meter if you haven't. That won't really change the volume setting though.

-15 sounds about right. I have a 6200 and Minis, and I normally listen between -20 and -12, with my ref cal at -8. It depends on the disc too, since Episode 1 can easily play at -8, while a few others that I have are already loud at -20.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
SR 6200. Depending on the CD's, I listen to music between - 10 and -30 dB. On average, I'd say -15 dB is about right. Some CD's are recorded at a much higher level and you have to listen lower its weird.

Harman

Auditioning
Just to put in my two cents, I've got the SR4200 - volume is also about -20.

But I've got a question: when using the test tone, does any sound come out from the sub?

Thanks

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Harman - Yes, when using the test tones, the sub should make noise, though it will obviously be lower in frequency than the other speakers.

In your setup menu, if you have your main speakers set to large, and sub = no, then you should not get a tone.

Harman

Auditioning
John - Thanks. I think I've set it up properly - as I'm using satellites, all speakers are set to small and SW - On. I suppose I'll to do another check on the system. I also lose the sub using PL II Music (although the sub works fine with Stereo, DD and DTS).

Thanks again.

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I listen at a louder level than you guys for music, sometimes -10 to +5. There is nothing wrong with my hearing, so maybe my Mordaunt-Short 906 speakers are somewhat less efficient. They're rated at 90db, but who knows? Either that, or I just like to really crank my favorite tunes.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
ChrisAG, maybe its a case of your room. You have those absorbing sofa's and the back wall in nice and far away.

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
6200 speaking. Normal listening level is about -25db's, sometimes slightly higher and reaching -15db's, but no more. That's pretty high for my 25 square meters saloon.
However, are you sure that the 4200, the 5200 and the 6200 can be compared at that level? I mea, the former is rated at 70Watts per channel, and the other two at 90 and 110.
So would you say that that reference level (taken as +0db's) means the same volume level for all these machines?
I'm not sure... I tell you this because before buying the 6200 I had a 4200 and a 5200, and everytime I changed my unit I had to lower slightly the volume to hear music at the same level...
ChrisAG, how can you listen at +5db's? Do you live in a stadium or what :emoji_thumbsup: ?

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Speaker efficiency is hard to compare because I never know if someone is quoting the anechoic or room efficiency. My 6T's are 91 dB anechoic and 93 dB room.

Hey Chris, are you enjoying your SR? did you get a 6200 or a 5200 this time? I don't mind my 6200 but the source direct doesn't seem to be a big deal anymore to me. I like the sr6200's DAC's though. Been listening to CD's with my laserdisc and dvd player through digital connection and its good. I think its better than my old CD player. Too bad the digital has those dropouts. I basically waiting for a receiver that has a better crossover/bass management and no digital dropouts. I almost wonder if I should have gone with an NAD T761 for the time being, but I am seriously going to look at the upcoming T752 and T762.

As for the SR6200. It plays really loud in my small room. I rarely listen to music above -10 dB if ever and I have NEVER listened to music above 0 dB.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, there is a few db difference between the 6200 and 5200. I hooked one up for a friend today, in a decent sized room, and I calibrated it at -6, and found that it needed to be turned up slightly to get to relatively the same volume. Overall though, it sounded the same except for that.

The Minis are quoted as 89 in room, 86 anechoic.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
I have a 5200, and with the difference in price in Canada I wonder why anyone would go up to a 6200? Is circle surround really that good? Everyting (other than a lille more power) seems exactly the same. I find listening levels all over the map depending on what you're listening to. Eg. I find having to crank the volume up if listening to DVD's that are two or three channels as opposed to 5.1. And the pro-logic II seems to depend on the source as well. But you gotta love that Marantz sound don't you? Could it be addiction?

ChrisAG

Supporting Actor
I'm really enjoying the 6200. As some of you know, it is my fourth unit, after two defective 6200's and one defective 5200, which suffered from the dreaded popping noise whenever sources were changed and/or poor video switching. Even though the serial number of my latest 6200 was relatively low, it had the best video switching of the bunch (I suspect it is a refurb, but at this point I don't care).

Even so, after speaking to Lenbrook about the video they offered to swap out the video board for a new one. I took them up on their offer and the video improved from about 95% perfect to 99%, meaning it will lose vertical hold OCCASSIONALY, not often enough for me to think of it as a problem. Previous units would go out of sync often enough that at one point I considered switching brands.

ChrisPC, I think you are right about the couches - they surely absorb some sound. But the fact that I can listen to music in Source Direct at +5 once in a while is testament to the 6200's clean power at that volume. The 5200 I had for a week was a tad harsh at that volume, which is one reason I went back to the 6200 (and the Circle Surround, which I prefer to Pro Logic 2 most of the time).

As for the DACs, my CD changer is analogue only, but I tested my newer Toshiba SD 2300 using the analogue L & R to compare, and I preferred the 6200's processing.

Ferran, my room is about 11.5 ft x 21 ft., but I have a lot of sound absorbing carpet and furniture. Then again, I rarely listen at +5, usually -15 or -10.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Well, I've had 3 days with my new 5200 and I must say, it rocks! The music with this unit is incredible. I had a Kenwood before that was only 50 watts per channel, and this Marantz seriously kicks its ass. I find myself listening to all my CD's again, every single song sounds better, more detail, and more clarity with my mini monitors. My next HT purchase will definitely be an upgrade to a 6200 for the little extra punch. But for right, I'm a happy camper!

Another Marantz addict in the making...

Ferran Mazzanti

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Doug Smith, prior to my 6200 I had a 5200 (and a 4200 before that) and I can tell you something I found:
1- Despite having equal specs, the 6200 beats the 5200 in sound quality. Even the guy from Marantz that sold me the equipment said that, altough one could argue that he was trying to sell me the more expensive unit (and he did actually :) ).
2- Circle Surround is definitely better than DPLII from my poit of view.
So is it worth paying the extra $$$ fro jumping from the 5200 to the 6200? My answer is yes, mostly considering that the 5200 is already expensive... Furthermore, the remote in the 6200 does easily learn codes from other remotes.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I like my receiver, as it works ok and has very good music sound quality. Ultimately, I want to get rid of the cutoffs at the beginning of tracks and I'd like a better crossover. NAD T752 or T762 like I said is my future option trade-up upgrade, but I might go separates instead. Just can't really afford it right now :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks