Question for LT150 Owners projecting on a 4x3 screen (experiment)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vince Maskeeper, Sep 1, 2001.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

I have been playing around with set-up configurations for the NEC LT 150 projector available in my room. The ideal config, for me, would be ceiling mounted- but the demensions of the room present an interesting issue.
    To make a long story short, in order to achieve the proper throw onto my 16x9 screen, the image of the 150 would have to be shifted all the way to the top.
    In otherwords, I need to project the 16x9 picture area justified all the way to the top of the available projection area, leaving the unused space all at the botttom, rather than half at the top/half at the bottom.
    So what I was wondering was, could one of the gracious owners of the LT150 currently projecting on a 4x3 screen pop in an anamorphic DVD, put the projector in 16x9 squash mode, and use the image adjust function to shift the image upwards and tell me if it can be shifted all the way to the top of your screen.
    I konw there is an image shift function, I just don't know if it allows the image to be shifted by that great of a degree.
    I would be greatly in debt to anyone who could check and let me know!
    Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here

2. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Actually, Vince, I tried "moving" the screen as high as possible but was stopped short when some white boxes started showing at the bottom. Like, u know, the open notches on film negatives? I didn't get very far but I'll try again tonight to see if I could put it all the way up or down.
    Everything's in my living room right now and I can't watch anything if its not dark outside...at least I hope that's a "yet".
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

3. Jim Ferguson

Jim Ferguson Stunt Coordinator

The LT150 doesn't have a real image shift. The actual display goes to only one spot. The shift it has just adjusts the image slightly within that area. It's meant for slight adjustments to center a PC display or something of that nature. It's not meant for wholesale adjustments from the top or bottom of the screen.

4. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator

Actually Vince going from a fixed throw CRT to a 'fixed throw' digital projector wouldn't be prudent. You may want to look at other lamp projectors which allow flexible placement options through lens shift and zoom lenses and not digital zooms or shifts.
    ------------------
    The things we own end up owning us

5. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Vince:
    What are you going to watch the most of? 16 x 9? Why not just shoot it on to a matte white painted wall and mask off the area that you are trying to not see with black mattes?
    Parker

6. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I already tried "shifting" the image as far as it could go. Not much difference...maybe a few inches (depending on screen size) up or down. On a 72" LB image, maybe about 4-5 inches total. Hope this helps.
    ------------------
    Eric Samonte
    Dito sa Pilipinas..may Hom Tiyeter rin kami!

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

quote: Actually Vince going from a fixed throw CRT to a 'fixed throw' digital projector wouldn't be prudent. You may want to look at other lamp projectors which allow flexible placement options through lens shift and zoom lenses and not digital zooms or shifts.[/quote]
    Well the throw distance isn't the issue. The issue is the distance between the top of the screen and the ceiling. This distance is about 8 inches.
    I have looked over the install instructions , and for the screen width I'm using, this distance would be fine for a 4:3 screen, however obviously if my screen is 16x9 I need to pretend it was 4:3 for distances.
    In otherwords, my 64x36 widescreen would be the same as 64x48 squarescreen. As a result, the projector setup would expect to be about 6 inches above the top of the 4x3 screen... meaning it would need to be about 12-14 inches above the 16x9 version, space I don't have.
    So when I install it on the ceiling, the image will throw a 16x9 picture in the center of the 4x3 area, which will end up 6 inches too low on my screen, and I'd have to move it up to the upper edge of the picture area to center it on the screen....
    quote: What are you going to watch the most of? 16 x 9? Why not just shoot it on to a matte white painted wall and mask off the area that you are trying to not see with black mattes?[/quote]
    That's basically what I'm doing- however I already have a screen area installed. The screen is 16x9- so essentially it's like what you've said only I have a fixed area with the rest matted already.
    The trick is to get the projector to properly project into this screen area. As I mentioned above, I'd like to ceiling mount- and the limited headroom between the screen top and the ceiling creates a situation where the image will end up 6 or 8 inches lower than my screen is currently mounted.
    The screen cannot be moved, I have a cabinet mounted in the wall just below the screen- so I'm stuck. I can always floor mount the unit if I have to- but I was really hoping I wouldn't need to.
    I guess if nothing else it might be a good excuse to get a HTPC setup happening. HTPC would allow me to shift the image upwards slightly within the 4x3 frame...
    Looks like I'll just bit the bullet and buy one and see what I can make work!
    Thanks Guys
    Vince
    ------------------
    http://www.musicianassist.com
    AIM: VinceMaskeeper
    Interested in moving into FRONT PROJECTION with huge 6-10 foot widescreen? Buy my whole HDTV-ready CRT based front projection system delivered, cheap! Click here
    [Edited last by Vince Maskeeper on September 05, 2001 at 10:05 AM]

8. John-D

John-D Stunt Coordinator