Question for L.A. area members

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Thinking of planning a trip out there in late September and probably will be shacking up at the Beverly Garland Holiday Inn, site of last year's meet. Though I've been out there several times (the last being five years ago), my girlfriend hasn't and of course, I'll have to take her to all the tourist magnets. Biggest headache: the Mouse House. I know L.A. traffic patterns vary wildly, but does anyone have an early morning drive time estimate between the Bevely Garland and Anaheim? The last time I did it, it didn't seem to take to long, but we were driving down there and night and grabbed a room near Disneyland. That won't be the case this time. Any tips are appreciated.

2. Earl J

Earl J Stunt Coordinator

You shouldn't have too much of a problem as long as you stick to the carpool lanes. That hotel is in North Hollywood, right? Seems like the most direct route would be the 101 to the 5 south, but I'm not too familiar with those freeways and the extent of carpool lanes. However, I think most of your commute will be heading away from LA, therefore against traffic.

3. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

The Beverly Garland Holiday Inn is in NoHo near Universal Studios.
    From this area you can take the 101 south through the Cahuenga Pass and Hollywood to the 5 south, but this takes you through downtown LA and the converging of many freeways.
    The best route is likely the 134 east to the 5 south, which passes just to the east of downtown LA and avoids Hollywood and beach cities traffic.
    Getting around LA isn't nearly as difficult as it's reputed to be. Simple rule: avoid the 405. In the Sepulveda Pass take Sepulveda not the freeway during the day.
    Also, have a good map and listen to KNX 1070 for constant traffic updates when on freeways so you can bail and take surface streets or hop another freeway.
    Think of it as a game. [​IMG]

4. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Yeah, I know my way around the freeways and I've stayed at the B.G. Holiday Inn before. Was just looking for a time estimate for the driving. Luckily it looks like a moot point, as my girlfriend says that Disneyland isn't all that important to see. [​IMG]

5. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

If by early morning you mean around 5-6a, I have made many such runs from the NoHo area to Cypress (101/5/605) in about 40 mins. It's about the same distance as Disneyland, maybe 40 miles, and it's typically 70-80 mph between freeway junctions where you slow dramatically. Of course expect the unexpected.

6. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    If your G'friend hasn't been to Disneyland before, definitely go. In late September on a weekday, there will be no crowds, and you'll have a great time.

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I have zero use for Disneyland. Odious.

Los Angeles has to be the easiest large city to learn how to navigate. Everything is laid out in a N/S/E/W grid patterns. Just get your bearings, and you can find your way around.