Question for Kinks fans

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul D Young, Feb 21, 2002.

1. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

I am trying to collect all the Kinks re-issues that came from England on the label Essential Records/Castle Communications. So far I've got the following 7:

Kinda Kinks

Lola Vs Powerman...

Arthur or decline and fall...

Village Green Preservation Society

Something Else By The Kinks

Face To Face

Kink Kontroversy

How many other of these re-issues were there?

2. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Supporting Actor

You are still missing: Kinks (1st album); Live At Kelvin Hall; & Percy.

BTW, avoid the US versions of these reissues like the plague! They only have a couple of bonus tracks instead of the large amount on the UK reissues.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Paul, look at the inside of the CD backing insert (behind the clear jewel-case CD holder). It should have pictures of all the reissues. Live at Kelvin Hall is pretty minor, IMHO. If you have the excellent "Kinks at the BBC" 2-disc set, you're in good shape.

I also concur with the assessment of the US versions of these records. They suck!

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Yeah, I heard that about the US re-issues. That is why I'm working so hard to get all the English Castle releases. By the way, you'll probably think I'm crazy for this but the reason I haven't looked at the picture in the CD case to see the other re-issues is because I don't want to open any of the CDs until I have the entire collection! An all or nothing type of deal. Thanks for the help.

5. Ben Motley

Ben Motley Supporting Actor

Uh, can someone direct me to these far inferior US productions? I've been tracking down the collection this past weekend, and the only versions Borders Books (and any other store around here from what I've seen) carries are the Castle ones. Yep, I know some Castle cds get made over here too, but no, these are Made In England.
    Now, if you're talking any releases after Percy, then we have the Konk/Velvel cds, which are American. Are there Castle releases of Muswell Hillbillies to Word of Mouth? I haven't come across any of those. I just assumed Castle had rights up to Percy, and then Konk took over.
    Oh, and by the way, this weekends haul...
    Kinda Kinks
    Something Else
    Lola vs. Powerman and the Moneygoround (Great album, but this Castle cd only has 3 extra tracks... whassup wit dat?? [​IMG] )
    Muswell Hillbillies
    Misfits
    Low Budget
    [​IMG]
    And Paul, open those puppies up! Kinda Kinks and Lola rock! Well, they all do, but I'm just sayin' quit torturin' yourself. [​IMG]
    p.s., I have to agree about the BBC 2cd set, it's great! My plan backfired though; I had wanted to get "some" Kinks, and thought that would tide me over for a while until I made my fortune, but no, it just made me have to have the original releases all the more. [​IMG]

6. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Ben, look on Amazon-- there are multiple versions of the Castle reissues listed. And as far as I know, there are no Castle reissues of the Konk/Velvel titles (which are all good)

7. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Ben,

yeah I opened them all up after I received the other 3 I didn't have. I'm not sure if I listened to everything yet.

I've got a lot of other stuff to listen to as well.

8. Ben Motley

Mark, Larry said "BTW, avoid the US versions of these reissues like the plague!". I see the old Warner cds at Amazon, but those aren't remasters. It sounded like Larry was advising against American remasters, which don't exist.
    If he just meant to go for the English remasters over the old US Warners, well yeah, that's a no brainer. [​IMG]
    And Paul, I'm glad you were able to crack into them [​IMG] but I'm mad that you now have more Kinks than me [​IMG] . Just kidding... kinda. [​IMG]

9. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Actually Ben, according to the All Music Guide:

10. Ben Motley

Okay okay! I'm lookin' and I do see shorter versions on Amazon that say they're Castle/Sanctuary, but I've never seen these Sanctuary releases anywhere local, just the Castle imports (here I'm gonna make another assumption, and until I see otherwise, assume these Sanctuary releases are US made, like the Motorhead remasters). All the ones I've been buying are english imports, so hopefully I've got the right ones. I'm not at home right now to check track listings, but I'm pretty sure both Kinda Kinks and Something Else breached the 20 track mark.

For what it's worth, Borders Books seems to only carry the Castle imports, as I've haunted 3 of 'em this last weekend, and none of them had any domestic (US) versions of the Castle releases. Next time I'm at a Best Buy I'll see what they're hawkin'. Just out of paranoic curiosity, I wanna see these Sanctuary travestys.

11. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

12. Ben Motley

Cool, I had just figured all of ya were crazy because all I saw at Borders were the Castle releases - and in abundance. I just found it odd that I woudn't have come across one Sanctuary release out of the hundred or so cds I looked at this weekend. I guess somebody at Borders is doing their job. [​IMG]
    So now that that's all cleared up, does anyone know if the same thing happened on the Motorhead cds? I've got the first 5 cds on Sanctuary; did I get robbed on those?

13. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit