Question for John H and Hubert

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob_A, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Hello John and Hubert,

Have you tried experimenting with crossover settings? What crossover settings have you found works best for music and movies? Is there anything about the built in subs which you prefer over your formidable HGS-18's? Thanks a lot.

2. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

Guys? What am I going to do if I move my speakers to the basement and get an external sub? [​IMG]

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Bob, you owe it to yourself not to at least try adding a quality sub to the Def Tech's. By adding an HGS-18 to my BP2000/CLR2000/BPX system my HT experience was taken up to another level, just short of having tactile transducers.

PF

4. John H

John H Second Unit

Bob,
    I am still using a 40Hz highpass on all my 5 channels.
    I no longer use the 10" powered subwoofer section in my C/L/R 3000. I lowpass the center channel below 100Hz to the left channel inputs of both HGS-18's
    The right inputs of the 18's are fed from my pre/pros LFE/SUB preout after it passes through an Audio Control PCA III
    I find that this configuration gives the best preferable performance in my room.
    John

5. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Oh Bob, you don't need an external subwoofer. Defintive Technology powered towers already have "awesome builtin subwoofers", which we've all discussed many times. Nothing really happens from 15-35hz anyway. Forget about it.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Since we're talking about subs, keep in mind that one can build a DIY sub for about the same price as an HGS18 (maybe less) that will outperform the $25K Krell MRS subwoofer. Of course you won't have a built-in 1350W Class D amp or a cabinet less than 24" square. If that's the determining factor then buy the HGS18. They probably don't have much competition in that respect.

Brian

7. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

PomingF, I am sure it would be a killer addition to my HT [​IMG]
    John H, thanks for the info. Did you experiment and find 40Hz crossover preferrable to, say, 80Hz?
    Ned, I completely agree with you...those built in powered subs are awesome!
    Brian, good point there...top notch bang for the buck there!

8. John H

John H Second Unit

Bob,
    I use an Audio Control PCA III subharmonic synthesizer on my processors LFE preout signal before feeding my HGS-18's
    I calibrate the LFE/SUB channel to the same level as the other channels after the subharmonics have been added to the original signal. They are generated from a 70-35Hz sampling range which mixes in 35-17½ Hz subharmonics.
    Yes I have experimented and a 40Hz highpass is what I have decided on. Things might be different if I chose not to use the PCA on my subwoofers signal.
    I also use another PCA along with a Behringer EX1200 on my Buttkicker tactile transducers which is another reason I chose this filter selection point.
    I have not measured the low frequency curve this configuration provides. I only use my hearing and tactility.
    I would say that my bass management does not fall into the 'normal' category. Many would call it a low frequency nightmare. [​IMG] My favored crossover selection should not influence anyone.
    I am thinking about experimenting with another PCA on my rear stage PW-2200's to add a little more low end to my surrounds.
    John

9. Bob_A

Bob_A Supporting Actor

John I hear you...but that is one of the nice things about the bp2000TL's...the bass is very tuneful and deep, and one should be able to effectively cross them over anywhere between 40-80Hz with excellent results, depending on their listening preferences.