What's new

Question for Infinity IL-40 and Interlude Owners (1 Viewer)

Polo Santos

Auditioning
I have a strange question regarding the IL-40's that I bought a few weeks ago from ubid.com. I cannot see the tweeter component in either one of my speakers when i remove the grills. All I see is empty space and the white insulating material inside the speaker enclosure. Shouldn't there be some kind of speaker component in this space? I also own some Infinity Entra Point 5's as the surround speakers, and in these I can see a grey, round component in the top cavity that I assume is the tweeter. What do you all think? These speakers (the IL-40's) were supposedly "new" from Ubid. Did they rip me off, or is this the way the IL-40's were designed? Thanks!

Polo

Polo Santos

Auditioning
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm just now seeing pics on ebay that do show the tweeter there in the top cavity. I'm out of town right now, but I'm definately going to try and initiate a return as soon as I get home. If Ubid refuses to cooperate, I'll try and get warranty service from Infinity. Luckily there's an authorized servicer here in town that I can take it to.

Has anyone here ever had to send an Interlude in for warranty service? I'm worried that the warranty coverage Ubid claims I have might not be valid and that I'm SOL. Hopefully they won't ask too many questions about why I have speakers with no tweeters. If worst comes to worst, maybe the tweeters just came loose during shipping, and I can open the enclosure myself to remount them (if they aren't damaged already).

Polo

Aaron Smithski

Stunt Coordinator
Polo,

There is an extremely good chance that the tweeters are inside of the enclosures! The IL40's tweeter mounts from behind and can get knocked out of it's housing by rough handling during shipping. I've seen it happen.

You will need to open up the cabinet and see if the tweets are in there. I would remove the 8" woofer and go in that way since it creates the biggest access hole! Unfortunately, they usually come into contact with the driver or crossover after they fall and tear the diaphragm. Hope yours got lucky!

Aaron

Polo Santos

Auditioning
Thanks for the pic Seth. I'm definitely missing the tweeters now.

Aaron, do you know of any other ways to get to the inside of the enclosure? Can I remove either the entire rear panel or maybe the front? Reason I ask is because if I have to go in and feel around myself through the woofer cavity, I won't know what the mounting mechanism looks like or how it works just through touch alone. I'm still going to try to get warranty service if I can't exchange, but the warranty agreement says it doesn't cover damage due to shipping. I wonder if this would qualify as a defective mount instead of shipping damage.

If I have to replace the tweeters, would you happen to know how much replacements would run me? Thanks in advance!

Polo

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Make sure you email ubid quickly, you only have 7 days from the date they arrived at your house. They are pretty good and efficient about returning and refunding as long as you're contact them within the alloted time.

The only bad thing about them is since they aren't an actual store, they don't keep products in stock so they can only refund your money and won't replace the product. I once got an awesome deal on some new Klipsch KLF-30's($800 shipped), but they came very beet up and some driver's magnets rolling around the cabinet, boy was I pissed!. Never seen them that cheap again.

Polo Santos

Auditioning
Frank, well, I checked my emails from ubid, and I actually received the package from FedEx about 35 days ago. I bought the speakers from their superstore, not the auciton site, but I still think I'm beyond their return policy. I'm glad you mentioned that they have good customer service. Maybe they can hook me up with some warranty repairs. And you have a point about them not having anything in stock...they hardly have anymore Interludes on the auction block nowadays.

Polo

Andy_Steb

Stunt Coordinator
Same thing happened to me with my alphas. I removed the midrange driver, reached inside and pushed the 1" driver back into place. The tweeter on the alphas don't have any mounting mechanism only friction,explains why they fell out during shipping. Whole opperation took about 5 minutes and the driver wasn't dammaged at all.

If Ubid and Infinity cant help you try Fed Ex. Were your packages insured.

Polo Santos

Auditioning
I'm going back home later today and I think I'm going to try to fix it myself since it doesn't sound like too much trouble. Can any of you who have done this before give me some hints about removing the midrange or woofer cone? I don't recall seeing any screws that need to be removed. Also, is there anything I should look out for or be careful of so I don't damage anything? Sharp corners, flimsy soldering, etc? Thanks.

Polo

(Edited for spelling)

Polo Santos

Auditioning
:angry: :angry: :angry:

Bah! Well, I figured out how to get in there, and wouldn't you know it? The tweeter's diaphragm hit the woofer magnet and is crushed. I haven't opened the other IL40 yet, but I'm pretty sure the same thing happened to it. I guess my only options now are to try and get it serviced under warranty or buy the replacement parts myself. Can you guys think of anything else I can do? Thanks.

Polo

Polo Santos

Auditioning
Update:

Got both of them serviced under warranty at a local guitar shop that happened to be an authorized facility. I'm real happy with the warranty service...the guy who took care of me didn't say anything about any marks i might have left on the screws when i removed some of the cones :) Infinity did all right by me.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Polo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks