Question for HS20 owners

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Frank Zimkas, Feb 21, 2004.

1. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I'm going to start building my DIY screen this weekend and was curious about what others have done with regards to projector throw and screen size. I'm planning on a 106" diag. screen, front row seating at 11', and the projector mounted at approx 13' from the screen. Will this work or will I be to close in the front row and have to deal with the dreaded SDE?

I haven't received my projector yet so I don't have access to the manual, it should get here around the end of next week.

2. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

Ive had my HS-20 since X-mas eve. And I'm using a Draper 16x9 106" screen which I purchased from RitzAV. Link below. It looks like they raised the price on the Luma pulldown screens. I got mine for $140. But, I also bought a chief ceiling mount from them and may have got a better price. Do a google search and you can other that sell various brands. Videogon.com also list used and new screens.

http://www.ritzav.com/index.html

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...calculator.cfm

Using their calculator. It states your screen should be 16'2" from lens. Now the HS-20 has a zoom which allow one to adjust the throw. Which is nice for fine tuning.

My projector is setup per the calculator suggestion and my front seat is around 13' to the screen. And main seating is over 16' from the screen. For HD material having the projector set closer will not affect the picture too much. But, the worse the picture. IE, cable or older or less than reference DVDs will show much more grain the closer one sits.

I'm no expert on screens by any means. This is my first screen of any kind. I went with Draper because it was quite cheap compared to Dalite or Stewart. And not knowing much on screens. I figured I'd go cheap first and if in time I found I needed more from a screen. I wouldn't be out hundreds of dollars. If you want a fixed screen. Then DIY is probably the best solution. I wanted the flexibility of a pulldown. Since I have a mantle behind the screen.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck and enjoy your HS-20. It will blow you away.

3. Darrel McBane

Darrel McBane Second Unit

4. David Norman

David Norman Producer
    Supporter

According the throw calculator, if the center of your lens is exactly 13 feet from the screen, your max size would be 103in diag at full zoom.

If you are sensitive to screen door, you may also be a bit close at 11 feet since that's about 1.5X screen width, but everybody seems to have their own sensitivity -- some have said they could notice it up to about 1.8, others have stated that they saw none at 1.5 even without defocusing.

5. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Thanks for the help fellas!! I'm really excited about getting the HS20 installed and my kids are excited as well. My wife is a little aprehensive at this point, but she's always been very supportive of my little hobby.

HD on a 106" screen....I can hardly wait![​IMG]