1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Question for HK PA4000 owners?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph_Mikhail, May 1, 2002.

1. Joseph_Mikhail

Joseph_Mikhail Stunt Coordinator

Are you guys able to change the maximum turn-on volume for this amp. I have followed the instructions in the owners manual to no avail.

2. Joseph_Mikhail

Level I technical support SUCKS! Have these guys ever even seen the product that they "support".

They basically read the Owners Manual to me.....thanks that was helpful.

I guess I have to go through the hassle of sending it back to J&R. What a pain.

3. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Did you call H/K or e-mail them? I've always used the e-mail and gotten great replies, usually filled with anticipatory stuff I never even asked about.

4. Joseph_Mikhail

I've called four times. Yesterday, I sent an email asking if an inhouse expert could give me a call. I haven't heard back from them yet.

5. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

What receiver or pre/pro are you using? And are you configured for remote room volume control?

6. Joseph_Mikhail

I am using a HK520 as my pre/pro. And the only way to control the volume from a remote location on the PA4000 is to install a keypad for every channel to be controlled. Which I haven't done.

I am able to control the volume using my 520 so I want to leave the PA4000 at its maximum volume. Unfortunately everytime the amp goes into standyby mode it defaults back to the factory setting for its maximum turn-on volume.

I am going to call HK again today and ask to speak to someone who has actually used the PA4000.

7. Scott Pagac

Scott Pagac Stunt Coordinator

Are you sure it is the PA4000 you are having an issue with and not the 520? I have the 520 and there is an option in the Advanced Settings section of the OSD that allows you to customize the turn-on volume. You can either set it to turn on at a set volume (regardless of the volume it was set at the last time it was powered up) or you can have it use the same volume you last used.

I also have a PA2000 that I am using for the fronts. If it is similar to the 4000, there is no "turn-on volume" setting. There is a gain adjust (which I have set to max) and you use the receiver's volume control to set how loud the system is.

8. Joseph_Mikhail

I finally found someone at HK that knew what they were talking about.

Apparently the Owners Manual was incorrect. The max turn-on volume is only applicable when using an optional keypad. If you leave it in Music sense mode there is no max turn-on volume.

I haven't tried it out yet so maybe I am speaking too soon.