Question for HDTV owners with a PS2 and Dreamcast

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

The other night I was playing DOA2 on my Dreamcast when it dawned on me that with my Sony 57" I could run the Dreamcast in one window, and the PS2 in the other, both running DOA2 (Hardcore=PS2, Japanese LE=Dreamcast). Each window is the approx. equivalent of a 31" tv. Both consoles are connected via SVideo (no 480p DC for this boy [​IMG] ), so I thought this would be a great comparison.
    After synching up the same stages and fighters, I was amazed to see how much better the DC looked. The colors had a more subtle gradation, and the everything was much smoother. The PS2 had harsh color transitions, and the character models were extremely jagged.
    I then ran through some other discs (although I didn't have any more examples of the same game for both platforms), and the results were similar. The DC was nice and smooth and had great colors, and the PS2 was ultra jagged.
    So, my question for HDTV owners with both Dreamcasts and PS2's: do you get similar results? I'm just shocked with the image quality of the PS2 now, so much that I'm wondering if there could be something wrong here.
    Thanks,
    Dave

2. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

No one with a HDTV and both a PS2 and a DC has any insight?

-Dave

3. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Have not tried those particular comparisons Dave. I suppose when I get home I can fire up the DC version of Code Veronica and the PS2 version and see how they compare on my Tosh.

4. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I'll be getting a PS2 fairly soon (don't tell the S.O.) I've got a DC on my VGA input - that'll be a good test. I'll rent or buy a used copy of DOA2 Hardcore as a test...

5. Tony_I

Tony_I Stunt Coordinator

Unless I am mistaken, I believe that PS/2 game (and most) run at 640x240..

The Dreamcast runs 640x480i through s-video.. (480p through VGA)

This might be part of it.. Or, perhaps DOA on the PS/2 was rushed to make launch..

6. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

Tony,
    Are you sure? I'm almost positive most PS2 games run at 640x480. Having said that, in alot of games the DC has sharper textures than the PS2. Not sure why but it's apparently fairly common.

7. Larry Seno Jr.

Larry Seno Jr. Supporting Actor

The DC has always looked better than the PS2. I STILL think it does. When my PS2 has good graphics I am more surprised than I am happy about it. Check out MSR on the DC and then check out GT3. They are VERY similar.

8. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

I got both and in my opinion with the hdtv's theyre better than old ones so you see (sometimes) more inperfections in the ps2 (jaggies- blockiness) now i may be totally wrong here but i think thats what it is. My dreamcast is hooked up with the regular s-vid and my ps2 is run through a set of monster comp. cables but with most games the dreamcast does look a little smoother, which is funny but hey the dreamcast was a good machine, no is! [​IMG]

9. dave_brogli

dave_brogli Screenwriter

oh... and with the Playstation 2 640x240..........
    Now the reason why the PS2's aliasing is more apparent is in the way it displays the resolution. The resolution is techincally 640x480, but that's because it takes two frames at 640x240 and adds them together to get 640x480 interlaced. This causes a ton of problems, ranging from flicker (due to the interlacing) to jaggies. I think thats our problem...