question for Galactica fans....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Phillips, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I hear that Universal is planning to release this show on DVD. I have a question for those who would buy this:

If Universal crops the top and bottom of the picture of this series for widescreen and deletes a few minutes from some of the episodes, will you still buy it? Would you NOT complain? Let's make it even better. Let's say the director said he liked the cropping and editing because they cut out things that slowed the story down. Would the cropping and editing be OK then?

The reason I ask is that when some of us get upset when old TV movies like IT are released in edited and cropped form, and we complain, we get told we are being ridiculous and overly dramatic. We have people who go out of their way to justify the edits. We are told that they don't care because it's just and old TV movie and it isn't important.

Guess what? I think GALACTICA is a horrible show. You couldn't pay me to watch it. But I would hope that when it comes out, it is done right so the people who do like it can enjoy it. If it DID come out with scenes missing, I wouldn't blast people who complained just because I don't happen to care for it.

Here's hoping GALACTICA on DVD is done right....because next time, it might be MY favorite show that is destroyed by this practice, and I will care then.

2. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Warner Brothers is the main offender in this practice so I am not extremely worried about Universal doing this as well....on the other hand I am not aware of Universal having released many of their TV series onto DVD as yet so I don't know what their track record is like, or if indeed they even have a "TV to DVD" record yet.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Um, this isn't really a Galactica question, it's an OAR question. NO OAR = NO SALE, no matter what. No, Uni doesn't have a TV-on-DVD track record yet, but their general DVD track record indicates to me that 4:3 things are fairly safe from cropping to 16:9 (note: Babe, etc.).

Please...no "tricky" headers.

4. Will_B

Will_B Producer

The only episode with this issue is the pilot episode, which was shown cropped in theatres, with slightly different content.

I recall that Dykstra, the special effects person of the show, said he didn't like the theatrical release because he'd composed the effects for tv, not widescreen.

I'd like the tv and theatrical version to be combined somehow - maybe have branching. (A few differences, but one major one being the fate of Baltar is completely different).

5. Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman Executive Producer

Aaron Silverman
    Isn't the theatrical version already available separately?

6. Steve Phillips

YES

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

All Galactica 2 parters have dual OARs of 1.85:1 and 1.33:1 as they were intended from the beginning for foreign theatrical run
    I've been told this by the entire FX team (they did the FX 1.33:1 but were told to protect CAREFULLY for 1.85), the writers and several of the actors.
    I don't know the story on "IT" for 100% certain. Galactica I do [​IMG]
    Jeff "Can barely see my galactica DVD cover through the signatures" Kleist [​IMG]

8. Steve Phillips

I don't discount this on these 2 parters. However, there is room for debate about which ratio they look BEST in. Considering they were going to be seen by 99% of the audience on US TV, it just might be 4X3.

What about the rest of the series? What if they edited them? the basic question still remains. I just used GALACTICA as an example of a TV series that had some limited theatrical exposure. The basic question would remain even if we were talking about LUCY. Do we want edited cropped versions of old TV shows on DVD? If we do, do we then belittle those who complain?

Dave is right, this is more of an OAR question than anything, but I wanted to hear GALACTICA fans opinions on this issue. I don't really think the heading is misleading as I am asking a question of GALACTICA fans..

9. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Two parters? Do you mean...was there a time when they'd take two completely unrelated episodes and try to edit them together into 2 hour features? I have a vague memory of this from the days of the Beta/VHS wars...

10. Jeff Kleist

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That's a tough call. I'd at the least think twice about it. I think I might feel a little better if I was told up front that they did this and this to produce that, because....

The same goes for other deleatd scenes. The one in Trading Places with Murphy walking to the elevator comes to mind. I'd love to scream and rant but don't really know if that whole scene was picked up off of the cutting room floor just to make up for other deleated scenes when it was edited for TV, or someone convinced the director to leave the scene out for some other reason. (Personally, copying the Aykroyd entrance was a great idea).

The music rights do bug me, though. I really think that they should tell us who wanted too much money to leave a certain song in, so they had to cut it out. Half of the time I'll bet that the actual (rock/etc) group didn't even know anything about it, and a few extra greedy agents are at the core of this program. Ok, from what I've heard, the group probably wouldn't see squat from it.

Not that I'd want to have fifty thousand screaming fans e-mail the Bing Crosby estate asking them why Mary Tyler Moore's rendition of White Christmas was cut out of that episode, but maybe they should know.

Glenn

12. Jeff Kleist

To clarify, these were NOT deleted scenes. These were lame inserts shot with obvious body doubles and copycat voice actors