Question for fans of the Harry Potter books?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by todd s, Sep 16, 2005.

1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Sadly, I have not read the HP books yet. But, have seen the movies. And I have a question maybe someone can answer. How is the muggle world and the magic world seperated. At times they seem to share the same technology (buses) and live nearby. But, at other times the magic folk seem oblivious to things in the muggle world. For example if I remember correctly. Ron's dad seems to be in charge of studying muggle items. And is it ever explained how such large areas are kept hidden. In the first movie you just have to hide Hogwarts and the surrounding forest. Now, we see their are numerous towns (ie-Hogsmead) that are also hidden.

Thanks!

2. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

It has not been stated outright in the books when/how the Muggle and magical worlds were separated. The why, of course, is because the Muggles feared the magic, i.e. as in extreme reactions like the Inquisition. Too, there are the pureblood wizard families, like the Malfoys, who like to torment Muggles, so this separation is as much for the protection of the non-magical.

Large areas, such as Hogwarts castle and Hogsmeade are protected by Muggle-repelling spells. These seem to come in two varieties:

1. Illusion - If a Muggle were to encounter Hogwarts, they would see a large, dilapidated castle with a "Danger! Unsafe building" sign on it.

2. Misdirection - In Goblet of Fire, [the 4th book] it is explained that the Muggle repelling spells are nothing sinister; the Muggle who came too close would suddenly remember an appointment, or look in a different direction at just the right moment to miss it.

Muggles don't believe in magic, and when they are confronted with it, many times they will rationalize it away - "swamp gas and weather balloons" type excuses.

If you get the chance to read the books, do it! Though ostensibly written for children, Ms. Rowling is an excellent writer who does not talk down to or patronize her readers. I call this type of story a "basic fantasy" because I know very few people who did not, at one time, believe they were adopted, and were part of something bigger. I remember being a Princess stolen away from the good King and Queen - usually when I was pissed at my parents as a kid.

3. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

And when Muggle's do happen to encounter magic, there is a department within the Ministry of Magic that employs wizards whose job it is to cast memory erasing charms so the muggles forget their encounters with the magical world.

Cars or vehicles like the Knightbus (which you mentioned) are used to transport people and cargo to areas where it isn't practical to use magic, like the train station or other buildings located in London. Not every wizard or witch uses a broom or can apparate (teleport) and it isn't always practical to do either of those things, like in London where there are crowds of Muggles. But the vehicles are always magically enhanced in various ways.

4. Jeff_Standley

Jeff_Standley Supporting Actor

I would also strongly suggest reading the books. They really are incredibly written. The books have so much more that is not in the movies.(for obvious reasons)
    I have the audio books on cd for long trips also.

5. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    There are also trickster wizards and witches who like to enchant ordinary Muggle items in order to either harm or play a joke on a Muggle. There are examples in the books, but I can't think of any right now. But, when a wizard uses a Muggle device, it's against the law. That's where Arthur Weasley comes in. He carries a badge. [​IMG]

Todd, another vote for you reading the novels. I resisted a long time, but I'm glad I finally took the plunge. I'd put Order of the Phoenix as one of my favorites books of all time, regardless of reading level or genre. Pick up Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone. It's a pretty short read, and I dare you to stop at just that one. [​IMG]

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

How about the reverse-flow toilet? [​IMG]

7. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

My youngest daughter likes to thinks that the HP books are based on real people, places and things. She thinks a spell placed on Rowling allows her to tell the stories. And that, somewhere hidden from us "muggles", is a place like Hogwarts. [​IMG]

8. Rudi

Rudi Stunt Coordinator

ummm...She's right.