Question for fans of Stephen King's "Dark Tower" series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas Reagan, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

I have been reading the Dark Tower books by Stephen King. I have just started the fourth book: Wizard and Glass.

Does anyone know of a web site where I can view the illustrations that were published with the original editions? I am reading the pocket-paperback editions which have none.

I've heard that the illustrations for the first book were particularly good.

Thanks,

Thos.

2. Micah Lloyd

Micah Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I think these are some of them. The artist is Dave McKean.
    Here are some more.

3. Allan Petersen

Allan Petersen Stunt Coordinator

Thomas,
    The first volume had brilliant illustrations courtesy of the great Michael Whelan.
    Check them out at this site.

4. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

5. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Wasn't there supposed to be a movie about these books? Out of all of Kings stories I think these would make the best movie.

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I actually talked to Frank Darabont about bringing these to the screen (during the Green Mile DVD signing at Dave's a couple of years ago).
    He said he'd love to try, but these stories are so darned long. The best SK adaptations have been off of short stories (Green Mile, Stand By Me, Shawshank) or relatively short novels (Misery, Carrie). The longer ones sacrifice too much to get made into a movie. Look at LoTR: three 3-hour movies and a lot is still going to be lost. And Dark Tower will be more than twice the length when it's all done.
    Also, he asked who could pull it off? Obviously a young Eastwood or Gary Cooper. But they don't make 'em like that in Hollywood anymore.
    I then shook his hand and thanked him for his time. [​IMG]

7. Thomas Reagan

Thomas Reagan Stunt Coordinator

I knew I could count on you guys. Thanks !

Thos.

8. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Carlo, The Green Mile is an exception isn't it? I thought it was quite a long novel.
    I think the point is how involved a story could be. You would need a LOT of films to cover the Dark Tower with any degree of ability.
    Personally I would want to see it brought to life as a TV series. There isn't, after all that much of a horrific nature (usually the reason TV versions of his novels seem so poor, IMO), and these days the FX you can do in a TV show are getting very good.
    Yeah, I reckon TV is the way for this series, but maybe we should let him finish it first!!![​IMG]

9. Carlo Medina

Theo, the Green Mile is a short story, maybe short novel. It was essentially 6 90-page books (about 500 pages) but that was those little things that you could fit about 3 of those pages into one novel-sized page. So if you divide 500 pages by 3 = 166 pages.

Plus it took me about 45 minutes to read each book, and anything I can finish in 4 hours is not a long story.

10. Carlo Medina

The main prob w/ novel adaptations is the amoung of the novel that describes physical things and actions (and thus can be shown onscreen) vs. the amount of time in a character's head (i.e. very difficult to translate onscreen).

Dark Tower spends a lot of time in Roland's head, as well as the head of all the other major and even some minor characters. It's King's way of explaining their psychoses. That kind of stuff is hard to translate onto film.

Long books like Lord of the Rings can be made into movies because Tolkien spent most of the time describing scenery and actions. Very rarely does he take you deep into Gandalf's head, or each individual's head (w/ Frodo being an exception). So most of what Tolkien put on the page can easily be put onscreen.

DT will be very difficult to adapt. A lot of internal character dialogue, background and information will be lost, and that (for me) is a large part of the beauty of the stories!

11. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Fair enough. I know how it was originally released but the single volume looks no shorter than the 'average' King novel, of which I'd put Misery into that category. Certainly it's a pretty average length for a novel, even if not for a chunky one like IT...

12. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

Wolves of the Calla (Volume V of The Dark Tower series)
    Novel
    Berni Wrightson will be doing the illustrations for this book. The first edition will be the limited hardcover published by Donald M. Grant Publishers http://www.grantbooks.com/. No firm publication date has been set, but it is most likely that it will be sometime in 2003.
    Stephen has released the Prologue for Dark Tower 5 on this Web site. Read the Prologue. http://www.stephenking.com/dt_5.html
    Stephen King homepage

13. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

As I stated above, I really wish Michael Whelan would return to work his magic for the remaining volumes in the DT series.

14. Carlo Medina

Bernie, I believe, did the pencil art for The Stand...