Question for DVD viewers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rhett_Y, Jul 9, 2002.

1. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Hi all...

Would you still buy a film if it was streched over 2 or 3 disk to maximaze picture and sound? I.E. using 2 dual layer dvd's so that we get better picture (less compression because of the added space) and better bit rates of sounds (again because of less compression due to the added space). I don't mean for just long movies either, I mean normal 1 1/2 to 2 hour movies. Just curious if we would sacrific convience, having to change the disk if you don't have a multi disk player, for picture and sound quality.

R~

2. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III

The largest sacrifice I could justify in the name of quality would be splitting a title into three discs. The feature could be split in two parts with a third for extras.

3. James L White

James L White Supporting Actor

for a 1 1/2 or 2 hr movie , NO!!!!!! I can't see/hear enough of a difference to justify a movie of the length being interupted but that's just me[​IMG] but for a movie like LOTR or Harry Potter then yes but still I'd like to see that movie fit on 1 disc (1 side) if at all possible with the extras put on another disc.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Bah, haven't you guys ever watched a movie on a CAV laserdisc? Jez, for Seven Samurai You had to flip the disc 8 times! [​IMG]
    If ya asked me, just get rid of the half-bit DTS on new releases... that opens up A LOT of space for the video portion. Just release a separate edition with full-bitrate DTS and a Dolby mono track [​IMG]

5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Whatever it takes for the best quality picture.

The Fellowship of the Ring: Director's Cut will be about 220 minutes long. Since it'll have 4 commentaries, DD 5.1 EX, DD 2.0 surround, and DTS 5.1 ES, it's logical to put it over two sides. After all, who can watch a 3+ hour movie without going to the bathroom or getting up for food/drink?

However, there's no reason why Goodfellas couldn't fit on a DVD-9 with plenty of bitrate to breathe in. I'm not slamming flippers (they're good for certain types of discs, but not when the content can fit on a dual-layered disc).

Let the discs fit the movie, not the movie fit the discs.

6. Veli-Matti Reitti

Veli-Matti Reitti Stunt Coordinator

7. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Theres a bunch of different types of people in the DVD/HT community, and I've noticed that alot of people order their priorities differently from mine. In my opinion, it is all about the movie, not about supplements, or packaging, or convenience. If DVD had never been invented, I would still be gladly buying CAV Laserdiscs and flipping/swapping them in the middle of the movie just to get the best picture and sound.

So to answer your question, no, I do not have a problem swapping discs if it allows the best possible (or close) A/V quality. I have flipper versions of Amadeus, Sleepers, and GoodFellas, and although I think all 3 of those movies could easily fit on a DVD-9 with no compromises, it doesnt bother me to have to flip the disc (I would prefer to have had two DVD-5s, so at least that way I could put them both in my changer, but oh well).

8. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

That, however, can help to justify the need to switch discs. [​IMG]

9. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Someone needs to create a player that can read both sides of a disc. Then they could split those long films over two sides of a DVD-18 without any added inconvenience, whatsoever. For example, Columbia could use this technique to include full bitrate DTS and commentaries in their SuperBit releases...