What's new

Question for Denon receiver owners (2801 in particular) (1 Viewer)

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Hi! I've owned my 2801 for a couple of years now, and I rarely turn the volume up past about -15 db. I owned an Onkyo reciever before this one, and the amp began clipping and blew two of my speakers, so I'm kind of apprehensive about turning the reciever up too much. How far do you guys feel comfortable cranking yours up? I'd like to go up a little higher than -15, but I just don't know if it's a good idea for extended periods of time. Maybe the Onkyo was just crap. It was only 70 watts per channel, and I never turned it up past slightly over half way. Whatever happened, it made me nervous. Let me know what volume levels you guys feel are safe with Denon receivers. Thanks!

Rob

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Hi Robert,

Flesh this out for us. What was the Onkyo receiver model? What were the speakers? What speakers do you have now?

Sounds like your old speakers may have had a high minimum
wattage requirement and/or an impedance load the Onkyo was unhappy with.

It simply pays to know the ratings of all of your equipment...unfortunately you can't always rely on the manufacturers for useful 'real world' specifics.

If you play at -15 and don't hear any strain or distortion...just louder music/HT content...then by all means work your way up progressively in small steps and keep your ear cocked.

Due to the variability of recording levels, I often play classical selections at -15 or higher on my H/K 510/Parasound 855A combo, even the Telarc 1812 Overture Cannons...had them up to -5, no problems. It just depends.

I have always found Denon amplification to be honest and up to the task.

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Paul,

Thanks for the response. I'm not exactly sure what model the Onkyo was, but I think it was a 575. The speakers were the same ones I have now. They're Def. Tech. ProMonitor 200s, ProCenter C2 (or 200?), and ProMonitor 100s for the rears. My dealer replaced the blown drivers under the warranty of the speakers but said that if it happened again, he wouldn't because that kind of damage wasn't techincally covered by the warranty. The 2801 is rated at 90 watts per channel, and the speakers are supposed to be able to handle that. I'm not sure what their exact power handling is advertised to be. The reason I'm apprehensive about just working my way up with the volume is that my speakers seemed to blow right when I realized the amp was clipping, so there was nothing I could do. I don't want that to happen again. Anyway...thanks again for your response. Let me know what you can about this. Later.

Rob

Kenny Booth

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Denon 2801 (till lighting hit it) and I watched movies anywhere from -15 to -6 Never heard any strain.
Music tops was about -10 and that was loud.

Paul Clarke

Supporting Actor
Robert,

Which of the speaker set blew?

You sure it wasn't a 595? The 575 and 575X, as far as I recall, did not suffer from the low output in multi-channel that afflicts some of the newer Onks.

If you had simply cranked it too high, I wonder why all of them didn't go?

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Well, it happened twice. Once it was one of my mains, a ProMonitor 200, and I didn't know what clipping was then. I didn't know what caused it. Then it happened again to one of my rears, a ProMonitor 100, and my dealer said it was caused by amplifier clipping and that if it happened again, he would charge me to replace the drivers. He said I needed a new receiver with more power, so I promptly went out and bought one after some questioning here at the HTF. I guess this is weird that only one at a time blew. I was wrong about the model number. It was a 555. Well, thanks for all the help, guys. Paul, please let me know whatever else you can. Thanks!

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks