Question For David Lambert

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Stone, Nov 5, 2002.

1. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Hi David,
    If anyone has a solution to my problem, it's you!
    I purchase DVDs at least once per week, and I get most of my DVDs from Best Buy and DVD Empire. If my order has a lot of catalog titles, then the question of who to order from becomes a no-brainer and DVD Empire always gets my order. However, when I'm reasonably certain that Best Buy will have all the DVDs I want in stock on release day, the question of who to buy from comes down to total price. I'm not so concerned about pricing that I'll split an order up, I just focus on the total of the complete order and go from there. Unfortunately, as we all know, Best Buy's sales prices are not published until the Sunday before release day. The problem is I have to have my order to DVD Empire by Friday morning in order to get my DVDs here by release date. I know I could wait until Monday to place the order with Empire, but I'm impatient, ok? [​IMG] My question is: is there any way to determine on Friday morning (or earlier) which DVDs Best Buy is putting on sale and the prices? I'm guessing no, but thought I'd throw this out there before I place next week's order, which will be a pretty big one! Thanks.

2. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

There are some sites that post DVD B&M pricing before Sunday (dvdtalk.com's Bargains forum is one), sometimes even weeks in advance. I'd advise you keep an eye out over there if you need prices before Sunday.

I still like Davids format better though, as it makes it easy to quickly compare titles/prices.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

What Matt said; it's probably much more eloquently put than I could ever come up with! [​IMG]
    By the way, you could have sent me an e-mail with that little deal in my signature. :wink:

4. John Stone

Thanks very much guys.

I thought about emailing you directly David, but I decided to post it publicly because I thought the answer might help anyone else who might be wondering the same thing.

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Doesn't BestBuy.com usually lower their price to match the next week's sale items on Friday afternoon? I seem to remember them doing this on a few preorders I had there using their digital coupons. I'm not sure that is always the case, but it may be one way to find out early.

6. John Stone

7. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

It's iffy. If Rob's right (and I believe him; I certainly haven't checked behind him), then this is the earliest I've ever seen them do the adjustments. The latest? Midnight Eastern Time between the Sat-Sun of the new sale.