Question For Dave

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jim Beaver, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

First I just wanted to say what a great chat last night. It was my first chat and I even got my questions answered. WooHoo!! There is nothing more exciting then Millennium is on the way and Arrested Development is being worked on. I also Two Guys a Girl and A Pizza Place is coming this year, I had never thought that would ever come. I'm very happy for the fans of that show. I'm just happy in general that more and more tv shows are coming to DVD!!!

Dave In the chat last night Peter said that Fox didn't own the rights to MAD TV. I was sure they did. If Fox dosen't and who does? I want this show on DVD badly.

P.S. I didn't know how to whisper back to you and so I felt bad if it looked like I was being rude, and so I just wanted to say what I wanted to "No Prob." Silly I know, but I neededto say it.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

No problem on the whispering. I suck at it anyway, so I was relieved when I tried it on you and a couple of others and it worked. Tom Woodward of DVDAnswers had whispered to me earlier, and I was actually too scared to try to whisper back so I dropped him a quick e-mail! [​IMG]

So I understand; no probs.

I'm really pleased at all the TV-on-DVD talk that happened, and got some really good news out of it. I'm glad that Doogie is being looked at; it's one that I really miss and want to see. Thanks for asking about it! [​IMG]

About MadTV: The IMDB lists the production companies as being all of these:

* Girl Group Co. [us]
    * Bahr-Small Productions
    * David Salzman Entertainment (QDE)
    * Gladstone Gate Productions
    * Quincy Jones

Fox just broadcasts the show, and doesn't produce or own it. Those guys do. What that means in terms of "who owns the DVD rights?" is anyone's guess. I have no idea which of them would be the folks to ask, or if any of them have any deals with a studio to bring something like this out.

Given that, plus the very large costs associated with music and talent rights on a show like this, I would guess that the very worst should be expected for this series. I would guess it probably won't make it to DVD. If it does, it would certainly be as a best-of, and probably a 1-off at that. That's just speculation, but with a healthy dose of reality.

Sorry to say such negative things, especially after the good words and the good-ish Doogie news that resulted from your question. But that's my honest opinion, so I didn't want to pull any punches.

3. Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver Supporting Actor

Thanks Dave. Well I guees I can always hope for Mad TV and maybe one day it will come.

4. David Lambert

I suppose if we ever get this one, it would be after we finally got Fresh Prince. After all, Jones & Saltzmen helped produce that show, too (along with NBC).

5. Michael K Hill

I missed the chat.
    Does anyone have the details on the "Millennium" set?
    This is the Chris Carter series, right?
    I have the first season as a Japanese import, and the picture quality is pretty poor.

Thanks,
    Mike

6. David Lambert

If you don't want to read the chat transcript itself (look in the upper right corner of this webpage for a link), then click this to read everything of substance that was said about Millennium.

7. Michael K Hill

Thanks Dave!

8. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

I'll put this here, even though the show wasn't mentioned in the chat at all. Any tidbits on Simpsons S. 4 in terms of a release, I'm shocked nobody asked about it.

August?
    September?
    "Smarch"?
    2 Months after hell Freezes over?

I learned a long time ago that with Simpsons releases, nothing is concrete, but I'm hoping for a summer release.