Question for anyone who waited on line for an Xbox?...

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by todd s, Nov 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I saw people waiting for 24 hours to a few days to get the new Xbox. Just wondering why didn't these people just go to EBGames or any other store and just reserve one? Their is one game store near me that took 400 reservations and each person got theres without waiting in the rain and freezing weather. I understand some people may not have had the money. But, is their another reason I am missing?

Just Curious.

2. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

There are a lot of stores though, where people even pre-ordered as far back as late May and June that didn't get theres because of shipment cuts.

I didnt even want a 360 till 3 weeks ago. Wal-mart was a nightmare, but I had a Samsclub Business membership and was first in line.

3. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I went to Costco this morning at opening for something else. I go there a lot for business and know some of the employees. They told me they got 24 (bundled for $500) and people had been waiting since 1am last night and were gone even before opening. And let me tell you...It was in the 30's and raining all night. You must really want something to do that. [​IMG]

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Your local game store is a very, very special store as most GameStops & EBs received far fewer Xbox360s, with a lot of people who preordered from them not getting machines on launchday.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

The solution to that is to pre-order the unit from EB or Gamestop on-line early enough so that they can mail it to you on launch date. I ordered mine on August 25th and it was shipped to me yesterday. Tracking shows it will arrive tomorrow, which is fine by me. When you order from a brick and mortar you are at the mercy of shipment cutbacks which obviously occurred at a lot of locations. With on-line you are getting a shipment right from their warehouse so chances are far better of getting a pre-ordered unit assuming, of course, that you ordered it before they cut off the "guaranteed" launch date deliveries.

Did anyone who ordered on-line early enough and was told that they had made the cut later find out that EB or Gamestop was not going to honor that commitment?

Just curious.

6. Daryl Furkalo

Daryl Furkalo Second Unit

That is what I did with Futureshop online. Never got the order in until Oct 25, but mine was shipped yesterday and should arrive tomorrow as well.

7. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

You did well, Daryl.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Those who ordered from EB after October 26th probably won't see their units until Jan/Feb 2006 according to their site. But at least they were upfront about this. I guess, from reports here, that the same can't be said about their brick and mortar stores.

(I don't know what was so special about October 26th. Maybe the phases of the moon? [​IMG] )

8. BrettGallman

BrettGallman Screenwriter

I preorderd at a Gamestop on the 5th of June and got pushed back to second shipment. Ended up going to Wal-Mart yesterday at 9:30 in the morning...and I was already the 4th person there. It was a long wait, but it was worth it. Now I'll be off to cancel that Gamestop preorder.

9. TonyTone

TonyTone Supporting Actor

I only had to wait in line for a little less than 2 hours before getting mine at Costco. In fact, I almost did not need to wait in line at all; my local Costco received 120 units and were handing out vouchers to people as they were arriving (or were already in line). As it turned out, I could have gotten there at around 8:30am on release day and still would have been guaranteed one, as that was when the last voucher was finally handed out.