Question for anyone who owns "Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years" laserdisc

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Steven Wesley, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    Hi there!

I'm currently working on a custom set of inserts for the Mickey Mouse in Black and White DVD collection that came out last year. I was fortunate to also have been provided a copy of the insert from the Mickey Mouse: The Black and White Years - Volume One laserdisc to help with reference material. However, before I can complete the DVD inserts, I had a question for anyone who still has this laserdisc and can confirm some issues for me.

Up for the challenge? Here we go... [​IMG]

Before a number of shorts on the DVD set, there is a "date card" that shows up, signifying the beginning of the year of shorts. For example, before The Duck Hunt a date card of "1932" appears.

I'm assuming these were added to the laserdisc set originally, as they are now part of the actual short (not a separate chapter stop or anything like that). I was wondering if you could verify if the following shorts on your laserdisc version have dates in front of them:

Mickey's Follies - 1929
    The Fire Fighters - 1930
    The Duck Hunt - 1932
    Building a Building - 1933
    Camping Out - 1934
    Mickey's Service Station - 1935

The 1929 date is one of interest for me, because while it's included before Mickey's Follies there is actually another short on the DVD that comes before this also from 1929 (that would be The Karnival Kid. From what I've read, this short was not included on the laserdisc. Can you confirm this?)

Also, could you let me know what short (if any) on the laserdisc is prefaced by a "1931" date card. There are none on the DVD version.

Your help is greatly appreciated. I don't know when exactly I'll have this insert set totally completed, but I'm hoping within the next few weeks. Thanks again for your help!

- Steve

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

3. Steven Wesley

Steve

4. Lars Vermundsberget

Lars Vermundsberget Supporting Actor

I still have my LDs and I'm planning to keep it that way.

Then your questions:

There is indeed a "1929" before "Mickey's Follies". It is true that "The Karnival Kid" was added to the DVD as the only one not already included on the LD. Obviously, someone was not paying attention here - the year should have been before "TKK".

There is a "1931" before "The Birthday Party" - it's strange that it's not there on the DVD.

I can confirm the "1930", "1932", "1933", "1934" and "1935" title cards.

There is also a "1928" before "Steamboat Willie".

5. Steven Wesley

Steve
    Lars, big time thanks! I appreciate you tracking this down for me. [​IMG]

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Looking forward to the insert, Steven. Nothing to contribute, other than encouragement. [​IMG]