What's new

Question for anyone using Paradigm Mini Monitors (1 Viewer)

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Hi,
I'm using Paradigm Mini Monitors on stands for my stereo. The stands bring the tweeter to just below the level of my ears when I'm sitting on my couch. A couple of days ago, I got an idea while looking at other speaker designs, and decided to try the speakers upside down - woofer on top, tweeter on the bottom. I've been listening to it this way, and I think it sounds a little better. I think the Paradigms are a little too bright for my taste, I know my next speaker will have a smoother sound. To that end, placing these speakers upside down seems to have improved them noticably. Basically, I'm vertically off-axis from the tweeter now, so the top end is a little tamed. Somehow, the effect of this seems to be a better integrated sound, if that makes any sense. It doesn't just sound like the brightness is reduced, it sounds more like one coherent speaker where earlier it sounded like a coherent speaker plus a bright trebly bit. Of course, I never thought of these speakers as having a disjointed "bright part", but listening to them in their new orientation, that's the best way for me to describe the difference. In short, it sounds like the tweeter got a little smoother and blended in with the woofer.
I was just wondering if anyone else has tried this. I would guess that this applies to any bright-sounding bookshelf speaker, not just the Paradigm Mini Monitors. If no one has, could someone please try it and report their results? This takes all of 2 minutes to set up, costs exactly $0, and is completely reversible, so IMO this definitely falls into the "utterly harmless" category of voodoo tweaks :)
Anyway, if anyone is curious enough to try this, please post your observations to this thread, I'd like to know if others' experiences turn out to be similar to mine.

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Interesting Idea. I have heard this being done before, with similar results. My question to you would be is if you are sacrificing anything by doing this? (imaging comes to mind). If you are not, and if it does tame down those highs and the speakers sound better to you, then do it!! It's your own ears that count! Enjoy

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point. I haven't noticed any effect on the imaging/soundstage, but I'll have to keep an eye (ear) out for it. Thanks for the tip.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks