What's new

Question for anyone that knows Dishnetwork policies... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I currently have Dishnetwork. I did the plan where you I rent the first 2 recievers and paid an extra $100 for the next 2. My father is moving out of his house. And his next residence does not allow dishes. He wants to give me his 2 recievers. One is the tivo style and the other is a basic unit, similar to what I have. Can I use his recievers in my house and return the other units. So I can get rid of the extra $10.00 for the 2 extra units. Or is each reciever coded for a certain location? If I cannot how many recievers can I hook up to one dish? If I decide to add them to my service. Thanks!

ps-Has anyone heard anything new regarding Dishnetwork getting the Yankee channel "YES"??

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
I don't know about this plan, but receivers are tied to a billing account, not really a location. For instance you could move and not tell them, however your bills might go to the wrong place. You should also be able to move a receiver to your account and drop old ones. However if you got some special plan where you're obligated to keep four receivers or something like that, then you'd have trouble. I just am not sure what your talking about though.

Chris_HA

Agent
Just a question, why are dishes not allowed? There is an FCC mandate that allows dish owners to have their dish in most situations, nullifying most covenant controls. If you do not own, I believe that you are allowed to place your dish in an area controlled by you, like a patio or balcony.
Hope this might help. Fight the HOA! :)
Chris

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Apartment complexes and the like don't have to let you put up a dish if its not in area you control, like Chris mentioned, or if it would require damage to their property, i.e. drilling for the lines.

Drew Eckhardt

Stunt Coordinator
It's illegal for HOAs, land lords, local government, etc. to disallow the installation of dishes on property of which you have exclusive control (on a balcony, patio, etc.)

They are allowed to place restrictions on where specifically the dishes go provided it does not affect the signal or significantly increase the installation price.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Actually, my parents are moving from an Apartment(Where they have it on their balcony)to a new housing development for the 55+ group. Their is some sort of bylaw stating no dishes. Could this be illegal for them to do? My father is not to happy giving up the dish.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
If they own the property, they can have the dish. Home owners associations and the like cannot limit smaller dishes on property you own. They may try, but now dish is like cable or antenna, you have the right to receive the signal so you can put it up.

If this were a multi-family type building, say a townhome or duplex, and you had to drill into a common wall, then they could limit you, but if its all yours, you can do what you want.

HiHoStevo

Agent
Real Name
Steve
If you do a search for FCC and HOA I think you will come up with the document you need.

As has been stated previously, HOA's can pass all the rules they want, but FEDERAL LAW has nullified all of them. No HOA can prevent you from accessing a broadcast signal.... this includes putting an OTA antenna on your roof if that is what is required to receive a good signal.

I live in an HOA which has tried to force owners not to have satellite dishes and lost every time. They will huff and puff, but in the end when they go talk to their attorney they will find out there is nothing they can do.

Steve

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I can't understand why anyone would live where there's a homeowners association personally. Everyone I know that lives under one it seems like a Nazi regime.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
The place I'm moving to has a homeowners association. There's quite a few nice things about it that prevent people doing things that might lower your property value. Stuff like no above ground pools, except the kiddie pools, you can't keep RVs and boats parked outside, can't have cars that just sit in your driveway and don't move, you have to maintain your fence and yard, big dishes have to be out of sight of the common areas, things like that. I'm rather glad it will be there. There are no restrictions on small dishes though. The one thing I don't like is that they prevent ham antennas, which is legal to prohibit but that should e changed. Not that I'm a ham, but still that ain't right.

When you live in a place that has no rules in place you run a chance of Cletus the slack-jawed yokel moving in and drastically affecting your property value and overall enjoyment of your home.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Go here for all the info and advice you need:
Link Removed
These guys have been involved since the old C-Band days..I worked with them on legislative issues and such.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks