Question for Aaron Smithski about Velodyne CHT 5 speaker system

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Shawn*M, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Shawn*M

Shawn*M Extra

I was reading an older post and was wondering what sub are you running with these? I have read one favorable review and they sound almost too good to be true. Also, how big of a room are you running them in? I checked them out on velodynes website and see that they have them on special right now. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on these but first want to find out a little more about them as it seems hardly anyone owns them. For the price, they seem like a steal. This will be my first HT system and I will be running an SVS sub. If you could give me your thoughts on these it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Aaron Smithski

Aaron Smithski Stunt Coordinator

Hey Shawn,

The sub I have the Velodynes paired up with is a Stryke Thunder 12.3 cabinet (loaded with an AV12 driver) powered by a Rythmik 380-watt plate amp. This is my family room system in the basement; the room measures 30' x 26' x 8' (6240 cubic feet)...it's a pretty good-sized room.

I really think these are great speakers for the money; especially for the $159 direct from Velodyne! I paid $200 for mine off eBay about two years ago -- kind of a funny story here...the eBay seller I bought them from was none other than Bruce Hall...the current Velodyne president!

I had planned to use them with a Denon AVR-3802 in my 'second' system. After reading the Secrets article, I decided to break out my Parasound HCA-1205A and see how they would take the 200 or so watts. Really impressive. I'm using the Denon as a preamp, and I don't believe the 'DIRECT' mode employs a high-pass crossover for the front speakers...and the Velodynes will not distort when cranked up to ear-bleeding levels.

I did manage to engage their distortion-limiting protection circuitry one day when powered by the 3802 and cranking the Alice In Chains Unplugged disc...I actually believe the Denon may have been clipping though.

The 4.5" woofer is in a sealed cabinet and has smooth, clear mids, and the tweeter is a silk dome that does not get harsh at all. They really do sound much bigger than they are.

The $159 price is for (4) sats in white, along with a black center. If you don't like the white, you could easily dye the cabinet black (or any other color you like) as it is vinyl.

For the money, I really don't think that you can go wrong in any way! [​IMG]

3. Shawn*M

Shawn*M Extra

Thanks Aaron. I went ahead and ordered them. The price was too good to pass up. I will post back once I get everything hooked up. Probably be about another month though before I have the funds for my sub. (SVS pb12+2).[​IMG] Thanks again.