Question: Equalizer set up for reciever!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Christopher Chung, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Christopher Chung

Christopher Chung Stunt Coordinator

Jul 28, 2001
    Okay, this is my very first time posting here. I'm starting to get into the Home Theater scenario, yes I'm a newbie, and just purchased a Sony STR-DE945.
    My question however is that I'm not quite sure where I set the frequency. Adjusting the levels for the bass, treble, and mid range is familiar to me, but how do I go about adjusting the frequency? For the front bass, it can be adjusted from 100Hz to 1.0 kHz; for mid range from 500Hz to 5kHz; and treble from 1.0 kHz to 10 kHz. The same goes for the center, and rear.
    Is this adjustment according to what my speakers can handle (8 ohm Bose fronts, looking to replace) or is it all a matter of preference?
    Thanks to anybody who can shed a little light on this, and sorry if this has been asked before in the forums. Since I'm a newbie, I may be posting a lot more "elementary" questions that may sound dumb, so please bare with me!
  2. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

May 23, 1999
    Welcome to the board, and believe me this place is a world of info on HT and stereo applications. I'm not an expert or audiophile like many others here, but I think the answer to your questions lies with you as the listener. What ever sounds the best is what you go by. Like for me I like a little extra bass even in my mains and surrounds eventhough the sub is carrying most of the bass. Play with the EQ, and it will accomplish two things, first you will get the sound you want and second you understand the significance of the settings and how they apply.
    If loving Home Theater is
    wrong, I don't want to be
  3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Aug 5, 1999
    Try this, Christopher.
    Set the boost for about +8dB, then step through the frequency range. This exaggeration will give you an idea of how different frequencies sound.
    As you step through the frequency range, listen for any “hot spots,” where it sounds really irritating. This will be a place that is already naturally exaggerated by the speaker. You will probably find things sound better if you attenuate this frequency. In other words, if you find a “hot spot” at 3khz, set the equalizer to say, –4dB. Experiment with different values (-2dB, -5dB, etc.) until you get the place where it sounds best.
    Also be on the lookout for frequencies where the speakers don’t put out enough. Do the same test, setting the EQ for +8dB and stepping through the frequency range. This time listen for places where it doesn’t sound like much has changed. This will be a place where there is a “hole” in the speaker’s response. In this case, set the equalizer for between +1dB and +4dB. (It is usually not a good idea to boost more than 4dB.)
    Repeat this procedure for the bass, midrange and treble equalizers for each front center and rear. If you have matching speakers all around, that simplifies things. Simply transfer the settings for the fronts to the others.
    By the way, Christopher, welcome the Forum!
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt