Question: Does a DVD player have to have a DTS output to play DTS?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Christopher Carr, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Christopher Carr

Christopher Carr Stunt Coordinator

I have an older Tobisha DVD player that has been playing fine since I believe 1998 or 1999 I can't remember- anyway I have another player from Apex that says DTS output. I am going to be purchasing Surround Sound for my dad this christmas and I was wondering if the DVD player itself has to have a DTS output or would the amp itself be sufficient enough with a DTS option to play DTS? I think it would be a nice feature for some of the discs that do feature such an option because we have never had surround sound and I think that would be just a nice little thing to experience this christmas. thanks for any help anyone can give! [​IMG]

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The player has to be able to pass the DTS signal as well as the fact that the receiver has to be able to decode it, if using a digital connection. Some players with "built in" decoding will be capable of sending the signal via analog connections, as long as the receiver has multi-channel (pre-amp) analog inputs.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yes, the player has to have the ability to output a DTS digital signal. If it can, it'll have the DTS logo on the front (almost always). if not, then it cant

4. Christopher Carr

thank you all for answering, I went to Best Buy today and bought a system that had a DVD player with it that had DTS it's pretty sweet as well- can't wait for my dad to open it to give it a test drive! [​IMG]

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Yeah, almost all DVD players out now will pass a DTS bitstream, even cheap $30 ones...

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Don't forget that your reciever also has to be able to decode the DTS signal if the DVD player doesn't decode it before-hand, which most usually won't.

7. Christopher Carr

I got a samsung set with a digital amp that does DTS sound or something like that- it's all on the box [​IMG] and the DVD player itself does do progressive scan with audio and video or something like that- but it's all in there so I'm excited for Christmas- again thanks for all the info

8. Andre D

Andre D Stunt Coordinator

I remember when I had one of the first generation Sony DVD players (DVPS500D?) that had only DD and no DTS. For some reason, when I put in a DTS DVD, my receiver (which was DTS capable) would recognize the signal. I could never figure out how it was possible. Any answers?

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The S500 was probably "tricked" into passing the DTS signal, just like most, if not all, CD players with digital outs are capable of doing. An odd, but lucky, side effect.