What's new

Question did Sansui manufacture a HD-DVD player? (1 Viewer)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I don't recall hearing Sansui made HD-DVD players. Reason I ask is that I sold off my HD-DVD collection recently, and today receive an email from a buyer a HD-DVD I sold will not load or play on their player. My first thought was maybe it was a firmware problem since the disc played fine when I owned it. So I asked what model player they owned, and if it had the latest firmware update. The person wrote back they owned a Sansui hdmi player. My suspicion is the player isn't a HD-DVD player. They didn't give me a model number and from what I could determine Sansui doesn't have a HD-DVD compatible player on the market.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Nope. The only HD DVD players ever made were Toshiba and the rarely seen Onkyo. There was also the LG dual format player. The buyer has obviously mistaken an upconverting player for HD DVD.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter

The buyer certainly made a mistake, but there are also a few other standalone HD-DVD capable players:
-an RCA model, which was a rebadged Toshiba
-Venturer
-Samsung dual format

RomanSohor

Second Unit
Judging from the fact that they bought a Sansui player, I'd say they're not particularly educated on anything and just have an upconvert : )

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the replies everyone. I didn't think Sansui made HD-DVD players. I haven't heard back from the buyer since asking him to confirm he actually owned a HD-DVD player, but will probably have to offer him a refund even though I clearly advertised it was a HD-DVD that required a player compatible with the media to playback. Since I sold the disc through Half.com I now have to worry about gettting negative feedback on something that wasn't my fault because of an uneducated buyer. What gets me is that this person has waited until over 80 days to say something about it.

I saw this ad over at Sansui and could see how a casual consumer could get duped they thought they were buying a high definition player. Very deceptive advertising.

BrianP

Supporting Actor
Here's the latest update I heard from the buyer. He didn't even know what brand DVD player he owned! Instead of a Sansui he now says has a Onkyo DVSP 404. Still not a HD-DVD player and he wonders why it won't play.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks