What's new

Question: CP72 and Audio Calibration. (1 Viewer)

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased the Panny cp72 dvd player to replace an aiwa xd-dv370 in my main room. I love everything about this player so far but I noticed something strange when I was playing a dvd that I was very familiar with....

When I originally set up the aiwa it was with the avia dvd and I calibrated the speaker levels according to the specs with the spl meter. I realized that with the changing of players that I might have to do some slight re-calibration, however I didn't think that there would be that great a difference in player output. Well I guess I was wrong. I noticed that the sound was slightly off on this one dvd (Goldeneye) and decided to check it with the meter. I found that the sound had greatly shifted to the left and the lfe channel was greatly increased to the point where a gun shot sounded like a nuclear explosion. I tested this out with several dvds and the results were the same. I first noticed this when I played this dvd loud if that means anything.

I realize that the aiwa is not on the same level of the panny but they are both hooked up to my receiver via optical and I didn't think that the digital stream from either one would be that significantly different.

Has anyone else experienced this? or am I the only lucky one. Was just wondering if anybody could shed some light on this.

Thanks...

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
Anyone?
After all the talk about rp82s and cp72s nobody has an answer? :eek:

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Reece,

There's nothing about the digital bitstream that is going change from one player to another. My audio calibration didn't change at all when I switched out my old JVC for the CP-72, nor has it changed for any of the other 5 or 6 dvd players I've had.

I'd strongly suggest you look elsewhere for the source of your problem.

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
Steve.....

I didn't think that the digital stream would really change from one player to the next, at least not significantly however I can't deny that the change is there. I'll play around a little more with it to see if maybe it could be the cable, some type of interference, or the even the aiwa player. It just struck me as being odd so I thought maybe someone else might have encountered this and could explain.

Thanks for the input.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Reece,

I could be wrong and often am, but it's possible that a speaker wire may have been jiggled loose when you connected the new player to your reciever.

If your sound is shifted to the left with other sources then I'd suspect a loose speaker wire or some other problem.

If the shift is only present when playing dvds on the new player, then I'm an idiot and the player may be the problem after all. If you still have the AIWA, try hooking it back up to see if the problem goes away.

Another possibility may be the optical cable--they don't like to be kinked or sharply bent. If your receiver has coax as well as optical digital inputs, try temporarily switching to coax cable (any cable with RCA jacks at both ends will work fine).

Good luck!

Reece

Stunt Coordinator
Steve..

I'm in the process of trying to narrow down the cause of this but meanwhile I just re-calibrated the settings and all seems fine now. Great dvd player by the way.......couldn't be happier.

Thanks again for the help.

Reece

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks