What's new

Question concerning subwoofer/apartment dilemma. (1 Viewer)

Nick_Da

Agent
Hey guys, I figured that I would ask all of you this question since you've been really helpful in the past and have pointed me in the right direction. First off, I hope that I am posting this question in the right forum area. I'm assuming I am, but if I'm not, then I'm sorry. Anyways, onto the dilemma.

I'm going back to college here in a few days and I'm in an apartment this year. I'm bringing up the surround sound (it's a Kenwood VR-507 system) and I realize that I won't be able to play movies at the level that I usually have them at. Well here's the situation. We're on the second level of a three-level apartment building. So that means that people below and probably above will be able to hear our subwoofer going, but probably the people below will hear it more. Is there anything that I can put the subwoofer on that would lessen the sound going through to the first floor, without having to turn it down significantly? I know this probably sounds like a dumb question, but I was wondering if putting the subwoofer on top of something (i.e. a table, board, etc.) would absorb the sound and not allow it to travel downwards as much. Does anyone have any suggestions? Any tips in general to get the most out of a home theater system in an apartment without disturbing all of the other rooms? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nick

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Are all the people around you going to be college students also? If so I'd say don't worry about it, its college.

Geno

Supporting Actor
Amen Mike. Hey Nick, pray you have cute neighbors! Then you can show them your .....HT

but as far as your dilema, a table might help but it will still transfer vibrations. Thats why they sell pointed feet [dont know real name] for speakers. it helps keep the vibrations from creating bad/unbalanced sound waves. Ive thought about hanging a sub but it depends on the support and the size of the sub.

Scott Kriefall

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
I've read that placing the subwoofer on a heavy piece of carpet may help slightly, and placing it on a heavy marble or granite slab should also help a bit. The carpet would probably be easier -- and cheaper -- to obtain, of course! But I didn't try either of these when I lived in an apartment, since I never really believed that they'd help enough to be worth the effort.

Perhaps someone who has actually tried one of these methods could comment on the benefits or lack thereof that they encountered.

itai

Stunt Coordinator
finish school fast, so you can go back to a house!...;)
apartments sucks...

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
I will be going to university next year so I guess I am asking the same question. I'm sure a little noise during the day would be OK, but in the eveniings I would prefer not to disturb those trying to sleep or study. At late hours would it be best to just turn off the sub? I plan on buying Paradigm Titans for the fronts? Do they have enough low range extension to sound ok at medium volumes without a sub?

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I usually advise against this, but placing the sub near your seat might allow you to run it at a lower level. Also, some bass shakers could help relay the low freq effect to the “seat of your pants” (literally!) and allow for further volume reduction.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

I've lived in apartments for 24 years! Unfortunately, I have never found one with decent insulation. My system is fairly powerful with a 200 watts/channel Sunfire Cinema Grand power amp and a Hsu Research VTF-2 150 watt powered subwoofer. The best solution I have found is to live on the first floor. Even then I still find that I am constantly turning down the volume so that my neighbors can have some peace-and-quiet; and for music I almost never turn the volume knob more than a quarter turn! You might try turning down the output level of the sub.
I guess what I am saying is, that in my experience, if you aren't willing to have the remote in hand to adjust the volume during loud passages you'd probably be better off without a subwoofer - its only temporary anyway since you'll eventually graduate. Unless, that is, your neighbors at college don't care. And then, its all bets off! :D
And I must say that I am rather impressed with your concern for your neighbors. I've had a few neighbors that played their music so loud I could hear the words at 2:00 am!:eek: Fortunately, only a few didn't respond to my repeated and frequent notes on their door - and they don't live here anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks