What's new

Question bout technics receiver (1 Viewer)

DaveNel

Second Unit
I just bought a Technics Home theatre receiver, And I will
be getting it probably tuesday. The person is saying that
the left front when connected to speakers he hears static
. And seems to think the channel is getting ready to go. Is there anything that could be causing that. He said he crossed the wires and decided not to use that side. Now I know some about electronics and I know if you take speaker wires and cross them specially with the voltage that goes to push some of these speakers ( thats enough to blow a channel ) or was he talkin about crossin some other type wire. I am not that litterate in home theatre systems..
But soon gonna learn.. Any way the model number is SA-EX510

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

DorianBryant

Screenwriter
Dave, if you bought a used receiver that has a bad channel you may be stuck. It won't be worth the repair bill. I would not go through with the deal if you can.

You can pick up a new Sherwood receiver at Outpost for under a $100 if you are looking for a deal...

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
if it has a potentiometer for the volume control you can take the cover off the receiver, locate the pot, spray it directly with pcb cleaner or similar product. move the pot up and down as you are spraying it. make sure the spray is safe for circuit boards. when done spray it with canned air (again turn pot up and down). if the pot is sealed then it won't work. the key is to get the cleaning agent into the pot.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Hello

Thanks I will try that when it gets here, I only paid like $25.00 for the receiver. I was just trying to figure out if something else could cause that channel to have alot of static on that side. I will check the pot out once the receiver gets here.

DaveNel

Second Unit
I should be getting this receiver wednesday, I bought it kinna cheap saturday off ebay. What would be one of the 1st things I should do or check on this receiver. I have never actually owned one before. I do the front left channel on this receiver is acting up or bad since the owner said it was scratchy sounding. I bought this just to kinna tinker and learn a little on home theatre receivers. What I also bought this for even though the front left was out is putting 2-4 rear speakers up, I have a Pioneer stereo I am using now but wanted to get more of a surround sound. The pioneer may take care of where the Technics is lacking with its front left out. The pioneer is a regular 600 watt home stereo. Would I get true surround running 2 receivers like that?

DaveNel

Second Unit
Hello

Well I got this receiver, I hooked it up. The left front B
side was making a little static noise. So I had a friend of mine come down and take a look at it. It has the type of wires on it that you strip the end off and put the tip of the wire inside the hole then push the connector down on it. There was a wire that was broken off of the speaker wire that was trapped inside the connector and was barely touching anything. When there was enough base or sound it would vibrate the wire causing a static sound in the speaker

So the receiver is working great and has great sound :)

DaveNel

Second Unit
This receiver will knock you down (LOL) It sounds great.
what happened is someone put to much wire in the connector.
when you strip these wires you are olny supposed to strip
enough wire to make the contact with the contacts. Whoever
strip the wire just went overboard and I guess like he was skinning a cat decided to strip the wire (LOL)

But this receiver sounds great now. And the static has ceased.

When my friend came down I said I dont think the channels out because they were both sound great ceppen one side has a scratchy sound on it. He looked at it for about 45 min before he found what it was. He said he would have never checked there because most people wont bare that much wire.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I am currently using a Technics SA-GX690 Dolby Pro-Logic receiver as a headphone amp (powering Grado SR60) and it sounds great. I have not really try it with speakers yet. I hate those cheap spring clips....and this is on Technics's top of the line receiver (circa 1996 or so).

DaveNel

Second Unit
Yeah I know, You woulda though they had a setup with RCA cables or something in that nature instead of those clips.
But I know that you dont strip more of the wire than needed
that is a nono it can cause more trouble than a little static (LOL) more like snap crackle pop and no more nothing..

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Dave, I should correct my previous post....

Those are not even spring clips; they are friction clips. And the ones on the back on my Technics are not holding onto the speaker cables. Even a slight movement of the speaker cable will pop it out of the clip. I am afraid that can short out the receiver and damage my speakers. All this on a receiver with a MSRP of $500.00 back in the day.

DaveNel

Second Unit
Yeah I can understand that, Just make sure that the wire
isnt stripped more than it should be :) Im surprised that
they made those clips like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks